• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Connecting for movies and music

morini3andahalf

Hi Guys,

A subwoofer noob here looking for wisdom.

I am awaiting delivery of my first subwoofer, a BK XLS200DF. It is now well into the 4th week since ordering so hopefully it will turn up in the not too distant future. While I am waiting I thought I would ask on here for some connection advice. Having lurked for a good while, read tons of old threads and confused myself senseless I thought I would ask you guys instead ;)

My system is used 50% movies / 50% music and I must confess I am totally confused about whether I can use the subwoofer for both (if it ever arrives, that is :suicide:). I do not have a separate AV / music amp and will be watching movies and listening to music through my recently acquired Denon AVR2310 receiver. I downloaded the instruction manual for the sub and it states "Please Note that high and low level connections can be used at the same time if required. This has the advantage of being able to connect up a Hi-Fi and AV system simultaneously". I am assuming this is aimed at people who have two amplifiers, one serving the AV function and one for music? My question is can I use both the high and low level connections at the same time with the single AV receiver and, if so, is there anything to be gained by doing so? I take it when listening to stereo music sources the AV receiver does no bass management so unless I have the high level input connected the sub won't be doing anything when listening to music?

I would really like to have the benefit of the sub for music and movies. Can I do this? Somebody put me straight.

IronGiant

You are correct in your supposition that most people only use both ways of connection with two separate amps. You can connect both to the same amp for ultimate fine tweaking nirvana, but most people are happy to just use the low level connection if using an AV receiver for both music and movies.

Dave

hippiemark

hi i have my sub hooked via both phono and hi level, i do this so i can have the sub working when i use the direct setting on my amp ( this turns off all digital processing and therefore the sub output on phono.)

its almost like having two amps.

ultimately its up to you if you do it.

morini3andahalf

Thanks Irongiant, Hippiemark,

Under normal circumstances I would probably be inclined to keep it simple and just connect via the low level input if I can be sure that the sub would be used when listening to 2 channel sources. Information I have read on here suggests there is nothing sent over the "sub out" of the AV receiver unless the source is a movie with a LFE component.

Probably best if I wait for the sub to turn up and try this out for myself. Sounds like it is possible to connect both inputs to the same amp anyway.

m4rky_m4rk

I started out like you with all connections, Hi and low level to sub. I took onboard athe dvise here and tried just low and still have it that. It's much simplier to manage and I think it does give the best sound.

It's not true that stereo sources do not use the sub out on an AV avp. All audio below the AV crossover is diverted to the sub preout. Its movie LFE that is restricted to sub preout only. Movie LFE 0.1 never appears at the speakers (hi level), its only intended for subwoofers.

morini3andahalf

I started out like you with all connections, Hi and low level to sub. I took onboard athe dvise here and tried just low and still have it that. It's much simplier to manage and I think it does give the best sound.

It's not true that stereo sources do not use the sub out on an AV avp. All audio below the AV crossover is diverted to the sub preout. Its movie LFE that is restricted to sub preout only. Movie LFE 0.1 never appears at the speakers (hi level), its only intended for subwoofers.

Fantastic, thanks for the clarification, that is just what I wanted to hear. I would much prefer to keep it simple so will connect on the low level only.

kit1cat

You would normally need to set your speakers to small to get sub out from stereo, but this does depend on the settings available in your av amp.

m4rky_m4rk

Thanks,

Correct, I forgot to mention that. The AV amp crossover only comes into play when setting speakers to small in AV amp. This does cause some to get upset when they have large speakers. Mine are floor standing speakers but I have them set to small in AV amp and sub handles everything below 80hz for music and the 0.1 movie LFE. (I think this is 120hz max).

Using the sub preout this way also means you can easily add bass management and tactile transducers later :devil:

edited to add:

If speakers are set to small then the bass below to crossover is passed to sub preout. It is therefore not present in speaker level signal unless selecting Plus mode, double bass etc. Not usually a good idea for bass quality.

Last edited:

morini3andahalf

I just got a phonecall from a very nice lady at BK. My sub is shipping today for delivery tomorrow <happy dance> :D </happy dance>.

My system is currently running as 5.0 so I am guessing the easiest starting point to get up and running will be to connect the sub up to the LFE out on the AVR then run the Audyssey set up procedure again? Audyssey set my fronts and centre to large when I first set up my AVR but that is probably because I ran it with no sub. Am I right in thinking if I run it again with a sub connected it will detect it and sort out the speaker settings for me?

This is my first subwoofer as I ran my previous system for 9 years as 5.0. From reading (a lot) on here I am expecting this to make a big difference to the movie experience. I am also hoping it will make a difference for stereo music too as I find the new Denon a bit flat and dull for music. Probably not helped by my current Tannoy MX2's not being a particularly good match for the Denon. Speaker upgrades will have to wait until early next year though as I have no chance of getting any more toys past the Chief Financial Officer for a good while.

Can't wait, I am like a kid on Christamas Eve :)

Cheers,

Simon.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom