Connecting for best results

D

danthemangcc

Hi, I'm a bit green behind the gills at this AV lark and I'm looking for some advice on the best way to connect my DVD player and amp. I have a Panasonic DVD S-75 and a Yamaha RX V440RDS amp (and Mordaunt Short Premiere speakers). The amp & DVD player are just connected with standard phono leads at the moment and I know this isn't ideal. Although my movies tend to sound fine, as far as I can tell, my handful of DVD-A discs don't appear to be showing their full potential, shall we say... I'd appreciate any help from someone a bit better versed in AV matters than I am.

For DVD Movies you want to connect the DVD player to the Amp via a Digital Coaxial lead or an Optical lead. If you're only connecting via a pair of Phono leads then you're not going to hear Dolby/DTS as it should be as you'll be getting a downmixed Stereo signal. Make sure the DVD player is set to output a BITSTREAM signal for Dolby and DTS.

For DVD Audio you would need three pairs of Phono leads and connect them from the DVD Players Multichannel Outputs into the Amp's External Decoder Inputs.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll probably get a co-ax cable. I'll let you know how it goes, thanks again.

Regards.

Danny

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom