• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

connecting Fiio E9K + E17 combo to an old NAD receiver and my Macbook

ed94582

Novice Member
I finally moved my old NAD receiver that was gathering dust into my office -- along with an old NAD CD changer and an Oppo DVD player that I use as a CD player as well -- they were all gathering dust for about 7 or 8 years.

I bought a Fiio E9K to use with the E17 that I bought two years ago and have that hooked up to the Macbook via USB with the E17 docked. To connect this set up with my old NAD receiver I have RCA into the preamp out on the E9K to the "Tape" input on the NAD receiver. Works great but my question is -- is this the right way to connect the NAD receiver in the chain (am I damaging anything) and with this connection both the volume knob on the E9K and on the NAD receiver control the volume -- should I set the volume fairly high on the NAD receiver and adjust more granular levels with the E9K or vice versa and keep the volume on the 9K at a higher level and make adjustments on the NAD receiver?

Any advice or suggestions to this set up would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Member 266567

Have you tried using the Line Out on the back of the E9K? If you do it that way the the volume control on the E9K shouldn't effect the sound - that is the best way to do it.

Generally the volume on the source (E9K) should be set high and not touched - you should use the amp (NAD) to adjust the volume.

ed94582

Novice Member
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't tried the Line out as the instructions for the Fiio E9K specifically says to use the Pre-Amp out to connect to a receiver and passive speakers and the Line out to connect to active speakers. I'll try that.

Any reason you can think of of why the manual would say to connect to the pre-amp outs? Is it purely for the extra convenience you can have with the volume control on your desktop?

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom