1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting external lav mike

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kevinashby, May 4, 2005.

1. kevinashby

kevinashby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I have a canon xm2 and want to record sound using an external lav mike. When I try to record I get great film but no sound. Any advice will be helpful..

P.S. Yes I have turned the mike's power on.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    plug in headphoes, a must when recording any important sound, check the audio switch next to the lcd, if its on 'm' then turn the left dial up until you get a sound, check the level on the meter in front of the LCD (or swith the LCD audio level meter in display options), alternatively switchto 'A' and you should hear ok sound.

Things to check:

1: Is the audio attenuator on? (activated through menu, unless your subject is extremely loud switch it off, if you subject is very loud then a condenser lavalier is NOT the mic to use)
    2: Are you recording 12 or 16 bit audio (set 16 bit it's better quality, 12 bit can have playback issues, if not set up properly it can sound like there is no audio)