Connecting external hard drive to PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Trowbot, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Trowbot

Trowbot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, so I'm trying to connect my Seagate 1.5Tb USB hard drive to my PS3 in order to play videos etc. I reformatted the hard drive from NTFS to FAT32. I made three partitions (primary partition being FAT32 500 GB on which I put my videos).
    I named the primary partition PS3 then proceeded to make a folder within the partition also called PS3. Next, I added three folders and named them PHOTO, MUSIC and VIDEO. From here I added my files into the appropriate sub-folder (note: they are placed in other folders such as TV Shows, Movies, etc.; though I read online this shouldn't matter. i.e. /PS3/VIDEO/TV Shows/examplefile.mov).

Now, from what I've read online this should be the correct way to do this. I plug in my HD to the outlet and plug the USB into the front of my PS3. On my XMB when I go to Video, "USB Device (Computer)" shows up. When I hit triangle and select 'display all' nothing shows up.

What am I doing wrong? Some possible issues I've thought of could be: the three partitions, The size of the partitions (I've only really seen people talk about 300 GB FAT32 partitions being used with PS3), The extra file folders within VIDEO, my PS3s firmware may not be up to date enough?, or my HD is just not compatible even in a FAT32 format (though I doubt it since it does appear as USB Device).

Any help would be appreciated.

2. anorax25

anorax25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I think you'll find the folder VIDEO needs to be the root folder. Try removing the PS3 folder ( unlike with USB updates, see below ).

That's how it worked on mine if I remember correctly.

Much like upgrading firmware via a USB stick. Has to be in PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP otherwise the PS3 won't find it.

3. Trowbot

Trowbot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just tried getting rid of the PS3 folder. Still doesn't show up under USB Device (Desktop), even with display all. Any other ideas?

4. paper112

paper112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why 3 partitions? That could be some of your problem. You dont need to label a folder PS3 to play your vids. Try labeling Video, Music, Photo jus like that and move to the correct file. If that doesnt work it may be the partitions.. Only label a folder PS3 to save files and do back ups.

5. paper112

paper112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also not sure if it will play Mov files I know you used it as an example but that may be the case

6. BradleyLove

BradleyLove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I think PS3 has a bit of a problem with partitions.

My advice, stick a different JPG in the root of each partition. Do a "Display All" and see which JPG it finds.

IIRC, the PS3 only sees the last partition. I've defo had a problem with partitioned HDDs connected by USB in the past and I think it'd only see partition 2 of 2.