Question Connecting external equipment to a Tecknica TV

dfaulkner

Novice Member
Connecting external equipment to a Tecknica TV

Hi everyone

My friend bought a record player recently and asked me to set it up for him. It is an ION Air LP, which doesn't have its own internal speakers and so connects via a RCA cable.

I plugged it into the corresponding sockets on his TV, a Tecknica 32-2011 model, and selected the pertinent input source from the appropriate menu (YPbPr, as they seem to combine with the sockets that make up the Component connection). However, no sound comes out of the TV speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

David

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi David,

I had a look at the user manual for this Technika model online.
You need to use the 3 RCA Phono Composite video inputs (coloured Yellow, Red & White or Red & Black) located at the bottom of the side connection panel just above the headphone socket and select the AV input labelled as “Fav”.

dfaulkner

Novice Member
Hi JayCee

Thanks for your reply.

It's already plugged into these sockets, so I will tell my friend by email to use the 'FAV' option on the AV input selection menu.

I downloaded and scoured the instruction manual, too, but couldn't find any reference to what the 'FAV' option actually does?

I'll let you know if it works.

David

dfaulkner

Novice Member
Thanks for replying so quickly and clearing that up.

Funny, I've wired up various things to various TVs over the years, but I have never heard it called that before.

I've emailed my friend, and I might go round to his place next week, but selecting this should have solved it - I'll let you know.

Thanks again

David

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Funny, I've wired up various things to various TVs over the years, but I have never heard it called that before
I've come across it many times in customers homes.
It's the default label Vestel (the TV manufacturer) give it on Technika branded sets.

dfaulkner

Novice Member
Hmm...

Apparently selecting the 'FAV' option didn't work - I went round to his place and, sure enough, it's not working.

I bought a RCA to SCART adapter off eBay, but that didn't work either (normally he has a DVD player plugged into the SCART socket that I used, so I know that socket is not faulty).

I don't know if I'm missing something glaringly obvious here? The only possibility it that is says in the manual for the record player:

*WARNING: The RCA outputs are LINE level. Please only connect these to LINE level inputs. You may damage your receiver if you plug in a LINE level device into a PHONO level input.

I don't really understand this - I get the principle and tried Wikipedia, but am none the wiser.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Hi David,
All AV inputs on TV's are meant for Line level input.
Inputs on an amp or receiver labelled as “Phono” are meant for turntables using a moving coil or moving magnet cartridge pickup so it has nothing to do with the problem.
RCA/Scart adaptors are directional...are you sure you got the correct one? maybe you've got a Scart to RCA instead of RCA to Scart?
The type that can be switched are best...these have an in/out slide switch on the body and with this type and with your friends record player the switch should be set to “In” as in you want to “input” signals to the TV's scart socket.
This type of adaptor is what I mean...

If you do have the correct adaptor I suspect there may be a fault in your friends record player or a setting needing enabled but it's easy to test by trying it on another TV with Composite AV inputs which most have these days.

dfaulkner

Novice Member
Hi JayCee

Thanks for your reply.

The SCART adapter I got was one with a switch on and I set it to input, but no joy.

I looked all round the record player itself and there doesn't seem to be any kind of switch to route the sound specifically to the RCA outputs, so I guess they are permanently active.

It seems unlikely that there is a fault with the record player, as everything else works fine on it - though anything is possible, I suppose.

As you suggested, there must be some other TV/audio device with composite inputs that I can test it on - I will have a think. I might send an email to the record player manufacturers as well.

David

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It seems unlikely that there is a fault with the record player, as everything else works fine on it - though anything is possible, I suppose
Yes, you need to rule it out by testing on a TV that you know has a working AV input.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I've just stupidly realised there's no video output from this record player after Googling it's specs and the user manual. I assumed it had audio and video out for an on-screen setup menu.
It's audio out is intended to be fed into an audio amp or receiver via Bluetooth or the stereo RCA out, not a TV.
Some models of TV will not output audio from a composite input AV without a corresponding video input, therefore no sound.
I wouldn’t waste your time going any further with this.
Your friend needs an amp to get any use out of his turntable.

dfaulkner

Novice Member
Ah, sorry, my fault - I didn't say there wasn't the third, yellow video composite connection involved.

When you say 'some models of TV', I suspect that Tecknica, being a competitively priced TV brand, is not likely to support outputting audio only.

I'll tell him that he needs to find/buy some kind of dedicated speaker/amp for connection via either RCA cable or Bluetooth (or get a different TV - inappropriately costly, and a near impossible task for me trying to find anything that specific in any user manual!).

Thanks for all your time and research you've put into this - I'll let you know when we have sound!

David

Top Bottom