Connecting external DAC with ipad 8th gen?

zamlock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ipad 8th gen to external DAC - possible?

With apple lossless music out, I get 3 options in the audio settings. AAC 256, ALAC 24/48 and hi-res lossless 24/192.

Iam streaming via Airplay to Cambridge Audio CXN V2 and digital out to RME ADI 2 external DAC. Airplay streaming is limited to 16/44.

Is it possible to connect the ipad directly to the extenal DAC? I believe I would have to get a lightning to USB adapter, but no clue as to the ipads usb audio implementation, Rme dac drivers for ipad etc.

Thanks in advance. Stay safe. Cheers.

Options:

*Lightning to USB camera connection kit with USB cable to the DAC (cheaper than below option)

*MFI (made for iPod / iPhone / iPad) certified DAC with digital coax output

Upvote 0
Options:

*Lightning to USB camera connection kit with USB cable to the DAC (cheaper than below option)

*MFI (made for iPod / iPhone / iPad) certified DAC with digital coax output
Hi, I've picked up what I realise is an old thread, but this is exactly what I'm trying to do. I've seen this advice given a few times but when I've tried this with an iphone12 (Apple music) and attempt to go into a Hugo2 DAC I'm only able to get the sound to play from the phones speakers! I'm using the Apple CCK cable (A1440) and a 'standard' USB A to micro USB into the data port of the Hugo2. Is there something I'm missing (probably) or can you suggest a 'checklist' to troubleshoot what's not working? I appreciate any help you can offer.

Upvote 0
@sucker4gadget or is an option to buy the add-on streamer module for the Hugo 2. Downside = costs money

I have no personal experience with the Hugo 2 and suggest asking members here

Or here

Turning to your actual question, be sure to make sure the adaptor and USB cable are "USB on the go" compatible (USB OTG can be used in item description when online shopping)

Best bet would be to ask official Chord dealers if they have suitable cables, or maybe a helpful forum member can advise of a working cable for them

See also this link about the Hugo 1, but the same principles apply to your Hugo 2

P.S. i do not own one, but 'i think' iOS devices with USB C may not have to go through all this as USB C natively outputs digital audio data. This might be wrong, borrow someone's USB C iPad to check for yourself on your Hugo 2😎

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom