Question Connecting Elipson sub to Yamaha AS-701

SonicTheEarwig

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I find myself in the unfortunate situation of needing to find replacements to my Wharfedale 230s as we are revamping the dining room and the space where they currently do their thing will be taken up by furniture, and so I need to find a much smaller alternative.

I’m leaning towards Elipson Planets, either M or L.

The L’s I could use as they are, whereas the M’s would definitely need a sub. The L’s, however, are 2x the size of the M’s and might cause issues when it comes to placement. I’m wondering if I can therefore keep the M’s as an alternate option but only if I can hook the Elipson sub up to my AS701.

I confess I’m a little confused by the methodology and especially whether a successful crossover can be achieved between the Yamaha and the Elipson sub.

I’ve got no way of listening to anything prior to purchase because there is nowhere that has the Elipsons available but I don’t want to mess a retailer about by “remote purchasing” the Planets if they aren’t compatible and then lumber the retailer with an “open-box” return.

I’d very much appreciate your help and advice. Thanks in advance.

S

As I’m considering picking up this amp or the 801 I read this with interest, as I have the same issue in thinking about matching speakers with minimal space. I reckon I should be ok with slim floorstanders though ....

Anyhow the elipson Ms only go down to 90hz, the sub has a crossover frequency control of between 50 and 200 and your amp’s manual states “The SUBWOOFER OUT jack attenuates signals over 90 Hz”, that all looks good doesn’t it? Or have I misunderstood your question?

Aren’t the epsilon Ms really intended as surround sound speakers though? Why not pickup some bookshelf speakers that will do better at the bass end? I’m sure others will have lots of recommendations.

Hi Madfiddler, the thing is that my experience of subs extends only to plugging one into my AV Amp and just letting it get on with it and as I’ve never needed to use a sub within a 2-channel Hi-Fi set up before I don’t know whether I need more knowledge and in particular more knowledge about whether the Elipson sub will play nice with the Yamaha... especially given that I don’t totally understand the attenuation bit of your response.
As for the M’s, from reviews that I’ve read, they are great not only in a 5.1, or more, surround setting but equally at home within 2-channel provided they have sub support. According to reviews, one of the many advantages that the Planet Ms have over standard bookshelf models is that they aren’t as fussy about placement which appeals to me.

I can’t speak for the 801 but I absolutely love my 701.

Last edited:
it means that the signals above 90hz are reduced on the sub output. My understanding, and what I’ve done in my current setup is to set crossover on the sub perhap just a tad higher than the bottom of the frequency range of the main speakers otherwise you get an unwanted hike in the bass frequencies that overlap, but the aim is to blend the two.

I think for for you, given the amp attenuates the sub output at 90hz and your mains extend down to 90hz, i’d set the sub at just above and see how you get on. Depends on how much attenuation there is from the amp sub output I suppose.

Why not see if you can get a demo of a sub? Or loan? Or sub plus 701 and take your other speakers along?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. As for the other bits you mention I just really wanted to check whether the Yamaha amp would work with the Elipson Sub or whether the sub is tailored for the Elipson amp.
As I don’t have any transport I am not really able to start moving the Wharfedale’s around and anyway, as I mentioned, there are no stockists of the Planets anywhere that have them available to audition in any case. If I know for sure that the sub will talk to my AS701 then I’ll take a punt and audition them via a “remote purchase” which allows me to return them, but like I said I really don’t want to waste the retailers time, etc, if the sub is a no-no.
Thanks again for your response re attenuation.

The Epsilon is a stand alone sub. It is designed with the planets as a package in mind (for sales), but it will work the same as any active sub and therefore with any amp or speakers.

Elipson Planet M Speakers & Planet Subwoofer Review

The sub can reach 240hz, so there’s never going to be a problem with small satellite speakers.

If, on the off chance that the Yamaha does attenuate above 90hz (which would be superfluous as it’s the subs job to select frequency cut off) then simply use the speaker level inputs instead. No problems there.

I think you’ll be pleased with the sound. There’s really very little substitute for a spherical speaker design. The lack of boxiness and the subsequent image spread is wonderful.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi Paul7777x, that’s just what I needed to know.
Do you have any experience of the Elipson kit itself? At the moment I am rather favouring the Planet M’s because of their size and the Elipson Sub because it’s not a cube and would be interested in hearing someone’s opinion before I commit to anything, although in truth because of the room changes it’s either the Elipsons or headphones

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated

I haven’t heard the planets yet, no.

I used to own a pair of Munro Eggs. Not a true sphere... egg shaped oddly enough, and they were the best speakers I’ve ever heard for sound staging, simply superb.

I’d still have them, but they’re not pretty.

And I’ve yet to read a less than glowing report on the Ms and Ls.

Epsilon have been making speakers (and spherical ones) for more than fifty years. I think you’ll be safe :thumbsup:

Good luck.

Let us know what you think when it’s all sorted :smashin:

Just one last question regarding the review that you sent a link for. It states that “The best integration was achieved with the subwoofer in phase and on axis with the satellites” I think I get the bit about being on axis but could you explain the “in phase” bit and how I’d go about doing it?

S

Well, I've had the Planet Ls (mercury white) + Elipson Sub for a few months now and I can't tell you enough how happy I am with them.

The sound is remarkable and is so clean and uncoloured that at no point do I get tired of listening to them, even albums I regret having bought sound good.

I pondered upon whether or not to get the sub and although I reckon I could probably have done without I played safe and now I can boost the bass if ever I feel the urge without worrying about breaking something.

The stands were expensive but no more overpriced than most other manufacturers offerings, and although the Planets are very unfussy about placement they bring the speakers up to a good level (above most furniture, and are just above ear-level when sitting down. I like too the way they now look like large lollipops.

I've found that the Planets are exceptional with vocals but despite being told they aren't party speakers they do a really good job with everything I have that supposedly needs to be played loud, such as Apparat, British Sea Power, Cold, Explosions In The Sky, Genesis (yes, and what??), The Mars Volta...you get the idea, in my 5m x 4.2m room.

I have them hooked up to my lovely Yamaha AS-701 and to my ears, whether I am feeding them Spotify MP3s, CDs 0r Hi-Res AIFFs, they sound glorious.

Lovely.

Delighted to hear it sir :thumbsup:

There is very much to said for non-oblong boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom