1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVDR to Everything Else - Advice Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Dec 3, 2004.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered my Toshiba RD-XS32 :thumbsup: and want a bit of advice from all you knowledgeable people on the best way to connect it up to my other kit.

I will have DVDR, VCR, Digital Cable, TV, Hi-Fi.

I want to record to DVDR from VCR and Digital Cable (no need to record on VCR anymore). I would also like to output audio from DVDR and Digital Cable to Hi-Fi.

Here is what I will have to go with the XS32 (with connections):

Telewest Digital Cable STB (Pace Di4000T)
    Scart 1 - (Scart - Marked as VCR)
    Scart 2 - (Scart - Marked as TV)
    RF In
    RF Out

VCR (Aiwa)
    AV1 (Scart - Marked as Audio/Video)
    AV2 (Scart - Marked as Euro Decoder)
    RF In
    RF Out

TV (Toshiba)
    Scart 1 (Scart - No Markings)
    Scart 2 (Scart - Marked as Audio/Video 2S S-Video)
    RF In

Hi-Fi (Aiwa)
    Aux 1 - (RCA - Marked as Video/Audio In)
    Aux 2 - (RCA - Marked as Video/Audio In)

Thanks Everyone

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone?

Thanks

3. Highgord

Highgord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    HI.

Conect as follows:
    RF Loop
    Ext ariel - Cable Box - DVR - VCR - TV
    Scarts
    Cable (TV SCART 2) - TV (SCART 1)
    DVR (SCART 1 TV) - TV (SCART 2 Audio Video)
    VCR (AV1) - DVR (SCART 2 EXT Decoder)
    Composite Audio
    Cable Box - Hi-Fi Aux input 1
    DVR - Hi-Fi Aux input 2

You can now use all of the items you list, however, the VCR must be watched through the DVR with the DVR channel set as one of the External Inputs.
    You also have to tune the DVR into the cable box as a normal channel. Alternatively, connect the RF cable from the cable box to the VCR before the DVR (cable - VCR - DVR - TV) and connect the VCR (SCART 1) from the cable box to the second SCART on the DVR.

Finally, with the RF connections as below try this: (assuming you have composite out / in available)
    RF - as first.
    Scarts
    Cable - TV
    Cable - DVR
    DVR - TV
    Composite Video from video to DVR
    Again, you will have to watch the VCR through the DVR. The only way round this is going to be to use a scart splitter which will only allow one of the 2 sources to be used at the same time, or if your Hi-Fi has the correct connections, use it to switch the audio video. This gets more complicated. If you want to give it a try let me know more detail on your connections.

Any clarification let me know.

4. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you.

When the Toshiba arrives next week and I start disconnecting everything I may be back for more help, but I think I know what I am doing now.

5. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Switching between multiple sources becomes a whole lot simpler if you can afford to add an AV amp or receiver to your system. Typically they have inputs and outputs for two video/dvd recorders plus inputs for several other AV sources (the more the better), including an input for your tv, inputs for several Audio sources, and a monitor output that you can feed back to your tv. You can route any of the inputs to the tv + the speakers, and independently route any av input to a recorder. Your tv takes on a split personality. Its tuner is used as one of the inputs to the amp for terrestrial analogue reception (if you want it) and at the same time it is used as a monitor (with no sound coming from its speakers). Unless you spend a lot you will probably not get RGB switching though (see the Arcam AVR300 review in January's Home Cinema Choice). Most AV amps, if not all, have s-video switching and composite switching. Some can upconvert composite signals.

A cheaper route might be one of the better SCART swichboxes. The HSR1000 from Keene Electronics, for example, has 7 inputs, four of which can be RGB, 3 AV outputs and 1 audio only output. Any input can be routed to any output, so you can independently select an input to watch and an input to record. It comes with a remote control. I haven't used one but it looks like it gives you some of the switching capability of an AV amp, but without the amp.