1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVD via vga on Philips 42PF9965

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by classicfilmbuff, Dec 5, 2004.

1. classicfilmbuff

classicfilmbuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    has anyone connected a DVD player with vga to the Philips 42PF9965? as I'm considering purchasing yet another DVD player but this time with vga connection.

Can anyone recommend what DVD player with vga would be suitable as it needs to be region free?

Many Thanks & hopeful

2. HeweyBoy101

HeweyBoy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I've got the 37PF9965 - same model smaller screen.

First a question - why do you want / need to connect via VGA -best picture I find is via the media box, using RGB scart, with following settings :-

Brightness - 51
    Contrast - 75
    Colour - 45
    Sharpness - 4
    Tint - cool
    Digital Option - Pixel Plus (TV) or Movie Plus (DVD/Film material)
    Dynamic Contrast - OFF
    DNR - OFF
    Colour Enhancement - ON

Active Picture Control - MAXIMUM

I have tried VGA connection for DVD, using a Silicon Image DVDO iscan pro progressive scan converter. Basically, interlaced component video out of the DVD player into the iscan, and then VGA into the Philips media box. Results are good, but not really up to the quality of the scart input described above. Useful on poorer quality DVD's or Sky broadcasts, as the picture is softer and can serve to hide the digital artifacts quite well.

3. classicfilmbuff

classicfilmbuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to take advantage of the progressive scan picture for dvd output as i have experienced this via pc connection to vga. The picture quality of the pc games are outstanding.

My current picture settings are:

Contrast 50
    Brightness 52
    Colour 36
    Sharpness 4
    Tint Normal
    Digital Options Movie Plus
    Dynamic Contrast Medium
    DNR Off
    Colour enhancement On
    Picture Format Auto Format
    Active Control Maximum

I am always playing around with the settings as there are so many to adjust, although the Contrast and Brightness are always set around the 50 mark as I read that going above the 50% threshold on these two settings may dramatically reduce the expected life of the Plasma.

When viewing Sky channels the picture quality appears slightly better when viewed through the VCR via EXT3 CVBS rather than through EXT2 RGB. Have you noticed this?

4. GreatKingBowser

GreatKingBowser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I used a cable like this with my DVD player could I get progressive scan output?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The VGA port has to be able to accpt YUV colourspace and sync on Y (G) to do this. I don't think the Philips can, it's not mentioned in the manuals I have seen. But do read your own, specs do change in little respects like this between models.

6. BertM

BertM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends a lot on the DVD player, I guess.
    I have a sat receiver with a VGA output. When set to 576p output, the picture fits the screen OK. But in 720p or 1080i, the picture simply won't fit (a black bar on the right of the 16:9 screen with a 16:9 source).
    My iScan HD can be adjusted in 720p and 1080i or 1080p to fit the screen perfectly. So my worry would be that when the output timing of the DVD player can not be set, you'll end up with horizontal or vertical distortion.
    The 42PF9965's tuner/media box won't accept progressive sources (not even on the component input...) so you can't use that to scale the image.
    The best would be to try before you buy, if your reseller will let you.

regards,
    Bert

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, bert, the DVD player is not the issue. That's a component to 15pin sub-d cable, used for inputting component video to component capable VGA ports, like NEC and Panasonic have on some models. No YUV colourspace, no picture, simple as that.

8. BertM

BertM
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

my satellite receiver offers both component and VGA output. VGA being RGB-HV (or whatever you call it) through the standard VGA 15p connector, component being YPbPr (or...) through three RCA connectors.
    Indeed the display doesn't accept component signal on VGA but works well with the RGB-VGA output of the receiver, except that timing is very critical.
    I don't know about DVD players, but I can imagine that some DVD players offer separate VGA and component outputs like my sat receiver does.
    (FYI, the receiver is a QualiTV QS1080IR)

regards,
    Bert

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I know the box well. Only very very expensive players offer RGBHV, and the lead in the link is 3 phono to 15pin, so will only carry RGsB or YUV signals.