Connecting DVD to Receiver, is this correct?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rupbert, Dec 23, 2003.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey guys, got a new Sony STR-DB790 receiver today :)

Currently connected the DVD using generic phono lead until I buy some good quality interconnects...

Reading through the 790 instructions, there is a side note stating that when connecting a DVD player, use the analog outputs alongside coaxial/digital...

How does this work? I assumed when connected through coaxial/digital the circutry directed all of the sound digitally, discarding analog?

Is this not the case?

2. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The 'normal' method of connection is by digital coaxial or optical lead only, not in tandem with phono leads unless the latter are for dvd-a or sacd.

Does the manual mean that the digital connections are physically next to the phono ones?

3. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    The general method appears to be that you connect a digital lead( be it coaxial or optical) to the relevant terminals on your amp and DVD player.
    It then depends if you want to use the DAC's (digital to analogue converter) on your amp or DVD player. The reason for this, is that you may have better DAC's in the player and it also cuts down on another digital to analogue process.
    I'm sure someone can explain this better than me, in more detail.

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    There is the main manual, which goes into quite a lot of detail...

Then there is a simple setup guide, which is where my query arose...

It states:

"When connecting a DVD player, be sure to connect to analog (AUDIO L/R) jacks, not only digital (COAXIAL or OPTICAL) jakcks."

This is mentioned below a section that explains how to connect a PS2 to the receiver; is it directly related to this?

5. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,412
    As robocop says above the reason they recommend both connections is for DD and DTS you would need the digital lead but may prefer the sound through the analogue cables when listening to a CD.

As this bypasses the amps internal DACs and uses the ones in the DVD player, You will probably find a button on the amps remote that says straight stereo or stereo bypass which is the shortest cleanest signal path for CD playback.