Connecting DVD to LCD with HDMI/DVI

S

SilverBullet

Hi Guys.

I have an Acer AL2671W LCD TV which is HD TV Ready. I recently bought a Philips DVP5900 DVD player as it plays DivX and has an HDMI port (and I was told it will upscale current DVD's).

In order to connect the two I bought an QED Qunex 2m HDMI to DVI-D cable.

I connected the two last night. The first message I received was from the DVD Player telling me that the set up wouldn't work because a device (?) wasn't HDCP. I clicked on OK and and loaded up the DVD anyway.

Strangely the DVD played and I was able to alter the resolution on the DVD Player setting to 1080 with the little blue light on the front of the DVD player indicating that it was upscaling. However the picture quality looked no different to me.

However, there was no sound at all!

In other words, the DVD is upscaling apparently however the picture quality is not noticeably clearer than with SCART and there is no sound.

Does this have anything to do with the HDCP thing? Can anyone help or have I just wasted £40 on a useless cable?

Your comments and expertise are very much welcome.

SB

rEVILospud

Novice Member
Although HDMI carries sound along with the picture, DVI doesn't; so you'll need to connect the audio separately. If you want to use the coaxial for sound you will need to update the firmware on the DVD player, as with the original firmware you cannot output HDMI and Coaxial at the same time.

As for the picture quality, upscaling does produce a better pictures in most cicumstances but I doubt you would be able to see a huge difference on a screen of that size (I'm guessing it's 26" by the model no.).

S

SilverBullet

Hi mate,

Thanks for that... so if I've got this right...

• HDMI to DVI = no sound (how pointless is that?!)
  • I cannot use the SCART for sound and the DVI for Video at the same time.
  • On 26" the Upscaled improvement is negligible

Therefore...

Can I use the HDMI - DVI-D cable AND a phono to phono lead from the sound jacks at the back of the DVD player into the sounds jacks for the TV?

If a firmware upgrade is required where do I get one?

Why did the HDCP prompt pop up at the beginning?

Sorry for being a dunce and not using the proper lingo but this is kind of new to me.

Cheers...

rEVILospud

Novice Member
Yep, that's about right.
It's not HDMI's fault there is no sound, it's because it's being plugged into a DVI socket (mainly used for PC monitors etc.) which only accepts video inforamtion.

Using the HDMI - DVI-D along with phonos is fine.
You would only use the co-axial sound output if you had a separate amplifier and surround sound setup.

Firmware updates are on the Philips site, but the newest one caused some issues with my player, i will link a previous version when i've found it. You burn them to a CD on your PC and put it in the player to update.

I think the HDCP message is due to the use of the DVI input, but as long as it works should be ok. It is quite possible that your screen isn't HD Ready and doesn't fully support HDCP through it's DVI, especially seeing as it's really a monitor. This will only really cause you a problem when you want to play HDCP content (i.e. Blue Ray, HD-DVD), but they're obviously not available yet.

rEVILospud

Novice Member
For firmware update, see my post here!
There is a link to the previous version, not available on their site anymore.
The newest version (currently on their site) caused playback freezes to occur.

S

SilverBullet

Thanks again dude... I think i'll retire the HDMI to DVI cable for now and just use a SCART lead as there is no appreciable difference. Also, I'm using the Component inputs (?, the yellow, red and white jacks) as the input for my PS2 so I'd need to keep changing over to use the sound jacks.

I may be moving home soon and i'll perhaps consider the 26" for the bedroom and look at getting something more ostentatious for the living room.

Cheers.

SB

rEVILospud

Novice Member
Sounds like a plan.
Shame you haven't a use for the HDMI-DVI cable though. I'm sure you'll find a use for it in the future!

nightporter

Standard Member
I have the same DVD player and I also get 'that' message through DVI but pressing OK plays it anyway. I check the screen resolution and it's at 720p 50Hz so thats fine and picture quality is much much better than scart.
I'd try it again and go through all the settings including setting video output to HDMI because it should be better.

S

SilverBullet

Thanks Night Porter. I intend to give it another go this weekend. Fingers crossed.

SB

BanziBarn

RE: the upscalling, if you think about it, the TV has 768 lines so even when watching normal TV the unit it's self is upscaling the picture, else it would not fill the whole screen. IMO, that’s why the DVD player looked no different when pumping out 1080 because the TV was down scaling the picture to 768 actual lines. If the 1080 picture was true HD and had more detail in it I reckon you'd notice some improvement, but with these DVD players the extra lines are just made up by the player.

So, it's my understanding that with LCD TV, getting an upscalling DVD player isn't really necessary because the TV upscales anyway. (although you could argue that some DVD players might do a better job of upscaling than some TVs) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom