1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting dvd to amp via cox/analog

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by alby*, Sep 29, 2004.

1. alby*

alby*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i have a cyberhome ad-l528 dvd connected to a jam ax640 amp via cox/ analog cables i have enabled the dvd onscreen menu to the best of my limited knowledge but i have always been suspect to the set-up as only the l & r main speaker indicators are lit on the amp display. as i mainly watch concert footage i have not been too concerned but i recently added a md deck to my system and being short of a set of interconnects i borrowed the ones from the dvd.the result is no sound (yes the cox is still in place) i appreciate the dvd is bargain basement but could anyone shed light on the problem

2. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not having either of the electronic bit's you have, (I've never heard of Jam, and can't find them online), I cannot comment on the onscreen set-up of your equipment.

Firstly, are the dvd's you use encoded with 5.1 surround (Dolby Digital)?

If so, if you connect up the analog phono lead, and the coax digital lead i am assuming you still only get 2 channel stereo sound.

You could see if the DVD player allows you to choose the output type of the Digital out, (Multichannel or PCM, or possibly even off).

One thing to try, and I know it sounds stupid, but I've done it myself, is to make sure you are connecting the lead to the digital out and not to a video out.

The fact you only get stereo sound from the dvd (if you have multichannel dvd's & you have selected the multichannel soundtrack) suggest either the digital out on the DVD player is off, or not working; the digital in of your amp is not working, or again switched off.
    You may need to tell the amp that you want to use the co-ax input rather than an optical input.
    Also the digital input may be assigned to a specific set of analog inputs (i.e DVD) so make sure you connect your analog outputs from the DVD to the correct inputs on the amp.

If your MD recorder has Co-ax inputs, then try recording a CD from your DVD player onto MD using the Co-ax digital output. This will then let you know if the digital output is working or not.

Sorry for not having a concise answer. If you can give more specific details about your equipment, then I may be able to help more.

3. alby*

alby*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply the jam in question is a badly typed yamaha. i have since reread the cabling diagram and noticed that it may require 3 pairs of leads to get 5:1, all the same i will follow your advice as i will be reconfigering the system in 1-2 weeks your feedback has been most welcome .thanks

4. alby*

alby*
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the problem lay in the hand of the fool who connected it up i'll do it sober next time

5. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah but it is the drink that makes such tasks bearable :beer: :smashin: