1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVD to Amp for SACD/DVD-A

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Damian, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am currently awaiting receipt of a Pioneer VSX 2011 and 656A DVD player.

I've ordered a Profigold digital cable to connect the DVD play to the reciever but will this connection be suitable for transferring the signal of SACD or DVD-A discs to the VSX 2011 or do I also need to connect with an analogue interconnect?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Damian

2. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You'll need to use the 6-channel analog connection.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, you will also need six phono leads (or three pairs), or two pairs of three! :D

Digital optical/coaxial for Pro-Logic/DD/DTS , and the six phono's for DVD-Audio/SACD. Press the 5.1 input on the AV amp to get DVD-A/SACD sound.

4. Damian

Damian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

Would something like the Atlas Equator (3 pairs) be suitable or would it be overkill at £39 per pair?

Thanks again,

Damian

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably. £60 for the set should do.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm with Nathan re interconnects - I have my 656 connected to the amp via 3 pairs on QED Qunex 1 (about £20 a pair) I did try some more expensive cables but I couldn't tell the difference.

Mind you if you can afford the Atlas cables, i'm sure they would be great.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,821
    I wouldn't spend something like £60 on cables. That is overkill to me. I spent just £15 on three pairs of good quality phono cables for SACD.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It may be too late ( I hope not) but connect up your Pioneer 656 with three pairs of freebie cables that I am sure you have lying around.

I am not very keen on the limited amount of multichannel music that I have heard as I don't think that any of it is mastered well and £60 is a lot to spend on three pairs of good analogue cables if you don't like it.

I tried it out with three pairs of freebies, found that I didn't like the effect very much so have saved myself a fortune in cables.

9. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do find connecting with good cables enhance the music playback of CD/SACD especially for the front left & right channel (not to forget the center too)

Why bother spending more money on better format like SACD and not invest in decent cables?

Any cables that are provided with the player should never be used... except maybe the VCR?

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I wouldn't mind betting that most people have bought a DVD player that also plays SACD and DVDA rather than the other way round.

I bought the Pioneer 656a then found that I didn't really like the way the multichannel music was mastered and am glad that I didn't spend a lot of money on cables as I won't be buying many SACD or DVDA discs until the mastering improves.

Some people may like half of the band coming from the front speakers and the rest from the rears, but I don't

11. monotone

monotone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have u heard the 2 CH Stereo SACD replay Ian?

Soundstage & Instrument separation are a 'huge' improvement from CD - great presentation!

Was playing my Getz/Gilberto CD & SACD back to back and the SACD version easily gave a better performance anytime, and while trying with the interconnects I have (was using QED Q2), the replay changes significantly (not subtle at all) when I swap it to Audioquest's Choral, and a further leap of improvement when used with Audioquest Viper.

Remember too, play SACD 2 CH Stereo through the Front Left & Right CH of the 6 CH Analogue output, and not the additional L & R output or Coaxial/Optical to get the best 'sound' coming from your system!

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have heard DVDA in two channel mode on my system which I do like and Dark Side of The Moon will be my first SACD when that arrives shortly.

13. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have got an Ixos 175AV 6 RCA to 6 RCA cable installed between my 757 & 1011. Its a neat solution as all six cables are in one.

Ixos cable details

I bought from here

Cheers
    VC

14. europop1978

europop1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Remember too, play SACD 2 CH Stereo through the Front Left & Right CH of the 6 CH Analogue output, and not the additional L & R output or Coaxial/Optical to get the best 'sound' coming from your system!"

Why would the sound be any better through the Front left & right of the 6CH analogue output than from the 2CH analogue output?

15. ajantic1987

ajantic1987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have a problem with playing SACD discs. I recently bought a Pioneer 585 which supports SACD. I later bought three pairs of standard phono cables(red and white = right and left). When I connected all of them, all I got was muted sound coming from just a few of the speakers.

I noticed that some of the center and subwoofer inputs(?) were black. Do I need addiontional cables to connect these?

Please help me with this. I really don't know what to buy since this didn't work.

Thanks in advance. :)

My subwoofer and speakers are Bose. Does that have anything to do with it?