1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVD\SACD to Sony STR-DB790

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Flyshuttle, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Flyshuttle

Flyshuttle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but wasn't sure if it lives here or DVD. I have have loked around on search but not able to find an answer.

I bought a Sony STR-DB790 at the weekend to upgrade my current Kenwood AV amp and am a bit confused on how i connect my DVD|SACD player which is a Sony DVP-NS930V.

With the Kenwood amp i just have optial connected but SACD doesn't work as i understand that the SACD info is not encoded on optical but is on the 5.1 outputs. I have now bought a set of 5.1 cables and a new Optical cable to replace the existing one that got chewed by my chinchillas.

Do i use both the optical cable and the 5.1 and use the CD\SACD input on the amp with the 5.1 cables and then just connect the DVD optical input to the player or do i just use one?

Basically i am on a massive learning curve here as i finally started to read up and get interested so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The front speakers are Mission 702's with a Mission Centre and Gale sub, the rears are Eltax HT2'2 although most of this will be upgraded to better stuff over the next few months.

Thanks guys.

jon.

2. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    You have 2 halves to the audio.

Movie audio will still be carried by the optical (digital) link. either PCM, DD or DTS , whatever.

SACD/DVD-A audio stuff will be carried by the 5.1 analog connection.

So you should be using both in that setup.

3. Flyshuttle

Flyshuttle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fantastic! :)

Thanks for that Rob, I sort of suspected that i would need to use both but just wanted to check with the guys in the know :)

I look forward to installing it tonight now :)

Cheers,

Jon.

4. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey FlyShuttle, welcome to the forums :)

You bought well with the 790, an excellent budger receiver.

Got mine several weeks back, and movie and CD playback is very impressive. I imagine SACD would sound awesome...

Just remember to switch input from DVD to CD/SACD, I wondered why my CD volume was so low, only to realise it was going through the DVD scart lead, into the TV and back into the 790!!

Have fun :D

5. kiddi

kiddi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also remember to switch the amp to Multichannel, that way it will accept the decoded 5.1 signal from your player...

love my 790