1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVD player to PC monitor via DVI

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by GadgetObsessed, Feb 27, 2004.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +603
    I'm thinking of getting a 4:3 20" LCD to use as a PC monitor at home and also to take to shows with a DVD player (i.e. not lugging the PC around) to demo DVDs (all in 4:3 hence no need for a widescreen model.) The LCD will not be used as to watch TV.

I am considering the following options:
    (1) Get a 20" LCD TV (about £800-£900) with a PC input. Problem is that I cannot see any with decent resolution to use with a PC. Sony 21" has a 1024 x 768 res but no PC input. Most with PC input are 640x480 but Thomson do 800x600 models. I have seen some higher res widescreen LCDs with PC inputs but these are usually about £400-500 more and for 4:3 DVDs (non-stretched) actually have a smaller screen area.

(2) Get a DVI equipped DVD player e.g. Samsung 935 (about £150) and use its DVI output to connect directly to a standard 20" PC monitor, using the LCDs DVI-D input. (The Samsung can scale up to 720p or 1080i). Anyone have any experience of this?

(3) Get a PC monitor with speakers and AV inputs e.g. Dell do a 20" that also has S-Video inputs.

(4) Buy a small PC or laptop with DVD-ROM and DVI. This will be the most expensive option and also the least user friendly.

Any comments on what my best option is? I may end up buying several LCD screens if I can come up with a good solution.