Connecting DVD player to PC monitor via DVI

GadgetObsessed

I'm thinking of getting a 4:3 20" LCD to use as a PC monitor at home and also to take to shows with a DVD player (i.e. not lugging the PC around) to demo DVDs (all in 4:3 hence no need for a widescreen model.) The LCD will not be used as to watch TV.

I am considering the following options:
(1) Get a 20" LCD TV (about £800-£900) with a PC input. Problem is that I cannot see any with decent resolution to use with a PC. Sony 21" has a 1024 x 768 res but no PC input. Most with PC input are 640x480 but Thomson do 800x600 models. I have seen some higher res widescreen LCDs with PC inputs but these are usually about £400-500 more and for 4:3 DVDs (non-stretched) actually have a smaller screen area.

(2) Get a DVI equipped DVD player e.g. Samsung 935 (about £150) and use its DVI output to connect directly to a standard 20" PC monitor, using the LCDs DVI-D input. (The Samsung can scale up to 720p or 1080i). Anyone have any experience of this?

(3) Get a PC monitor with speakers and AV inputs e.g. Dell do a 20" that also has S-Video inputs.

(4) Buy a small PC or laptop with DVD-ROM and DVI. This will be the most expensive option and also the least user friendly.

Any comments on what my best option is? I may end up buying several LCD screens if I can come up with a good solution.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom