Connecting dvd player to freeview to amp to projector

6string

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to go shopping for a freeview box, a dvd player and an amplifier. I have 4 speakers (one in each corner), 2x passive sub woofers and I have yet to buy a centre speaker.

I have just built the room and I have run a hdmi cable thru the walls so one end is where the projector will be and the other end where the freeview/dvd boxes. will be.

So my question is, how do I hook it all up so that I can switch between dvd and freeview and all the sound outputs the amp? On the sky box in the house, I just plug the dvd hdmi into the sky box and job done, but most freeview boxes I've seen have only 1 hdmi socket.

You can not power a passive sub via an AVR as they are designed to be used with active ones.
On the connection question you would connect the freeview box and DVD player direct to the AVR (amp) via HDMI and then one HDMI from the AVR to the projector/TV.

Ah great ok thanks, so the AVR behaves much like the "mixing desk". For the subs, I can just line out of the AVR then and run them from a power amp.

Appreciate your help, thanks.

'For the subs, I can just line out of the AVR then and run them from a power amp' - most (not all) AVR's will have a dedicated Sub Line output (a few will have two) and within the AVR settings you assign a crossover frequency for the Sub and set its output level relative to the rest of the Loudspeakers.

You can take the Sub Line out to a stand alone power amp or direct to an Active Sub.

Two Subs is more complex if you want to optimise them independently rather than assume a global setting is the ideal - now you get into adding in more hardware to deal with the Subs independently as your AVR is unlikely to have that ability.

Placement of the Subs will have a big impact on what you hear at your seating position - don't assume where you think they should go will be the optimal position.

Passive-subs - are they 'true' Subs or simply the bass cabinets for a full range speaker system (that guitar avatar is a potential give away :)).

Speakers - corner mounting is not usually the 'ideal' placement, the Dolby layout guidelines are a good aid for where to place speakers; 5.1 Speaker Setup Guide

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom