Connecting DVD/Freeview to Plasma

paulmd

Standard Member
I've been given an ex-video conferencing 50" plasma screen (Pioneer PDP505CMX), and want to connect it to my panasonic DMR-EX768EB DVD player/freeview.

The screen has only got DVI-D and Analogue RGB sockets - both of which work independently when tested from my digital camera (set to its lowest HDMI setting) and laptop (set to XGA).

The DVD player has 3 x Component Video Out sockets (Y Pb Pr), and scart, HMDI and S-VIDEO outputs.

I first tried a HDMI to DVI-D converter, but the screen said out of range on all the available settings of the player. This did however work for my digital camera on 480p.

I then bought a cable called "1.8M Meter Scart 20 Pin Lead to Male 15 P HD S-VGA Video Laptop TV LCD Sky Cable" and tried connecting the AV1 scart output to the screen's Analogue RGB socket ... but the screen just flashed a couple of times and stayed blank.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Lots of factors at play here!

DVI-D – from memory it’s not HDCP compliant on that Display so whilst it will work with non HDCP sources (your camera for example) it won’t work with the majority of HDMI ‘Consumer’ devices which apply HDCP to the content you are playing back!

HD15 (VGA) – can, using a suitable adapter cable or converter, work with some YUV ‘Component’ Source signals; though check the Manual to confirm what pixel clock and refresh rate you need to be outputting!

SCART to HD15 cable – SCART is RGB+Composite Sync; again form memory that’s not supported on the Pioneer HD15 port!

HD15 port – you could use an RGB2YUV or YUV2VGA converter!

Manual – look here; Support - Pioneer UK

Joe

paulmd

Standard Member
Thanks Joe. I've found a cable on eBay called "3 Phono RGB YUV Component to VGA 15 pin Plug Lead Cable 10m". Is this going to be OK by itself, or when you said "converter" did you mean some kind of box of tricks? Cheers, Paul

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Would need to know for sure which model of PDP you have!

There is also the problem that whilst most of the 'Pro' type Pioneer Displays can handle YUV Component video (though watch out for 50Hz not being supported at all resolutions) you usually require the 'Optional' Video Board Installed - the video board has the required Video processing chips; it also includes 5 BNC for RGBHV and YUV plus S-Video and Composite Inputs!

Some pics would be handy!

Joe

paulmd

Standard Member
Its a PDP-505CMX (sadly not listed on the Pioneer support page), and only has the standard boards and sockets fitted - ie. just DVI-D and Analogue RGB as its inputs. As it happens, I could swap the screen for a PDP-50MXE10 (the second screen from the ex-video conferencing kit in our office), but this looks identical and only has the same input choices. So I'm stuck with trying to connect only to this limited range of options. Thanks again.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Without the Video Board you’re going to require some form of external scaling device to convert your various video Signals to a high res Analogue (VGA) or Digital (DVI-D) signal.

Something like the DVDO iScan VP20, 30 or 50 or a Lumagen Vision/HDP will do the trick!

Trouble is unless you can pick one up for buttons you have to consider what state the Display is in and how long will it last vs. a New PDP!

Joe

paulmd

Standard Member
OK, I've looked up the ones you said, and they're so expensive it makes the whole idea uneconomic - cheaper to get a new big screen TV! But I've found a "CCTV DVD DVR Camera TV BNC S-Video VGA input to VGA output PC Converter Adapter" on eBay at £20 that claims to do the trick. It's supposed to connect domestic type gadgets to computer screens - so do you reckon this is likely to be rubbish at that price, or in with a chance? Cheers, Paul.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Usually full of false promise and require your VGA Input to work with Video Spurces!

Even if they work images are usually poor.

Possibly look at a low cost PC or Networked Media Player with a VGA or DVI Out as your Source for the Pio Didplay!

Joe

paulmd

Standard Member
Well the £20 converter jobo turned up and so far has worked OK. I'm taking the S-VIDEO out of the DVD/freeview machine and converting it to 1024 x 768 at 75hz into the analogue RGB input of the screen. This fills the panel and gives a clean enough image - so pretty much sorted. Thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom