1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DVD digital audio to SBLive! soundcard

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Obuggrit, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got my DVD player connected to my SBLive! Drive bay using the optical ports. I can get the audio from CDs and menus of DVDs to feed into my PC but whenever a film starts I get a "flickery" buzzing noise. The same happens when I try to use the SPDIF ports.
    Is it to do with surround sound? The drivers I'm using for the SBlive! card don't support surround sound, just variations of stereo. So will it be that that's causing the buzzing?
    Thanks

2. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It probably is to do with surround sound. CD audio is uncompressed PCM, DVD audio is usually Dolby surround, a few region 2 titles will use mpeg sound. These are both compressed formats and if the raw data is sent out of the digital connectors it will be flagged as being data rather than audio, and will need to be processed in the PC.

Bill

3. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. What do I need to do in order to make the PC process it as sound?
    I'm trying the official SB Live! drivers again, but there doesn't seem to be an options for using optical input, and RCA SPDIF input doesn't make any sound at all with them.

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry, I don't know of anything that will do this. You seem to be doing the reverse of what most people do. Usually you would play the dvd on the PC, the DVD player prog would either send a correctly formatted data stream from the SPDIF output to be processed by an external decoder, or it will decoded the audio signal and present it as analogue outputs from the soundcards.

The only workaround that I can think of would be to set your DVD player to only give a stereo output if it has that option; that may give a standard SPDIF audio formatted output.

Bill

5. Obuggrit

Obuggrit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily I ordered a DVDROM Drive the other day. That should solve everything.

Thanks