1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting DV575 to Home Theatre System For SACD Playback

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ify, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello everyone :hiya: I've got a query and thought this was the best place to ask. Please forgive my lack of knowledge in this area, and I hope you can help me out.

Ok, a bit of backstory....I've recently started university and wanted to listen to music in my room (the laptop ain't no kind of audio player). Anyway, instead of getting a hi-fi, I thought I'd get a DVD player through which I could wath my DVD's and also listen to my 'special' Dark Side Of The Moon Hybrid SACD. I don't have enough money to buy a 'proper' SACD player, and figured it would be wise if I got an all-purpose DVD player. So I went out and bought the Pioneer DV-575 from Richer Sounds (which at first I was intending to use at home). I have an Acoustic Solutions DS-855 Home Theatre System (hey, I don't work and had to pay for it my self!).

What I want to do is to connect that home theatre system with the DV575 so that I can listen to my SACD (and my existing CD's and future SACD's)over here at university. So the question is, how would I go about doing this?

Here is what the back of the DV575 looks like: http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/rearlrg.jpg

Here you can see the back of my home theatre system (page 6): http://www.acousticsolutions.net/PRODUCTS/IMS/DS855.pdf

Here you will find more info about the 575: http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/dv575/dv575.htm

At the moment the speakers are all connected in the rear of the DS855. At home, I use the optical cable that I connect to my X-Box to play DVD's. I read recently that you cannot listen to SACD's through a digital (optical or coaxial) connection, is this true?

So what would I need to do so that I can listen to an SACD on the DV575?

Your help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. brock_landers

brock_landers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Sorry for the bad news, but SACD playback is not possible with the connections on your home cinema decoder.

You need something with 5.1 pre inputs.

I ams ure someone will suggest an alternative....

3. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi there ify, and welcome to the forums

As stated by brock_landers, you cannot connect the 575 to your Acoustic Solutions system for SACD or DVD-A playback in their high resolution surround form because, due to copywrite protection measures, the audio signal has to be sent by the 5.1 outputs of the player and recieved by the amplifier in the same manner.
    Unfortunately the surround system you are using does not have 5.1 input sockets so you are stuck with basic stereo for SACD/DVD-A replay only. The only way to listen in surround would be to upgrade to a system, be it an all in one, or an amp/receiver with the corresponding 5.1 inputs.
    You can still listen to SACD in high quality stereo by setting the Pioneer to output SACD in 2ch in its setup menu under INITIAL SETTINGS~OPTIONS~SACD playback~and select 2ch area.

Just looking at RS website and came up with these ideas ????
    Dependant on your budget, pair THIS with a set of maybe THESE add three pairs of phono interconnects such as THESE HERE.

Hope this helps ??

Graham.

4. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    brock_landers, thanks for your help. It is indeed unfortunate that I cannot play SACD's with the home theatre system.

the mechanic, thank you for the welcome, it's good to be here. Thank you for being a great help, I really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Also, would it be possible to use my existing Acoustic Solutions speakers with this reciever:
    http://ws4.richersounds.com/showpro...R200-SIL&SID=5ecb46bc7206384e83549b5f5c2a4238 which, I can then connect to the DV575 to listen to the SACD in 5.1?

If not, then would I be able to use these speakers http://ws4.richersounds.com/showpro...OU-AS150&SID=a16ab284cb14e008e0824a8059cebf45 with the Eltax AVR200 (http://ws4.richersounds.com/showpro...R200-SIL&SID=a58c33f905956a1d08d479b4d557d456) to enjoy my SACD in 5.1?

I really am tight on budget and don't think spending another £100 for the sake of an SACD would be worth it.

In your opinion, would you think it would be better if I just connected my Home Theatre System to the DV575 on which I can watch DVD's and listen to my CD's (through the optical output)? I would like to enjoy the surround sound experience when listening to music but spending £200 is a bit much for a student such as myself. However, I am not very intelligent when it comes to these sorts of things so do you reckon spending £200 to enjoy SACD's is worth it?

Thanks again for you help.

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi again,

Unfortunately, both of your suggestions would still not allow for 5.1 SACD playback.
    The Eltax amp you linked to does not have the required 5.1 inputs, and the speaker set would be similar, if not the same as what you have now.
    You need an amp that has 5.1 inputs linked to the Pioneer thru 6 phono leads for surround sound on SACD, nothing else will do I'm afraid.
    I have had a search on-line for any suitable all in one systems with SACD capabilities, and could only find a SONY DAV-S550, but this is about £350 :eek:
    With you limited budget I'm afraid there are no other cheap options available, unless you manage to find something on the second hand market, have a look in the classified forums for anything available. Dont be afraid to ask any sellers what you may think to be silly questions, just tell them you are a "newbee", and they will treat you OK.

All the best of luck,

Graham.

6. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I went to Comet today and whilst browsing came across this £150 Sony DVD player with SACD playback, it came with speakers. It then clicked that I could avoid all this hassle and just buy a player like that and I would be able to lisen to my music on there. I then went to Richer Sounds today to ask them for advice. The guy working there showed me a Yamaha reciever, the version which is newer than the RXV350 that would do the job for me. He said that my existing Acoustic Solutions speakers will connect into the back of the Yamaha and so I should be able to enjoy the SACD in surround sound. The reciever he showed me was £120 and I may go for that as I won't have to buy new speakers.

I asked him about the player I saw at Comet and he said that the quality doesn't even compare. He said there is no point buying a DVD/SACD player that comes with speakers as everything including the amplifier is squashed into a little space and hence the sound quality is extremely poor.

Should i go for it and buy the £120 Yamaha (I'm sorry but I forgot which type it was)? Is it true that I will be able to connect my existing AS speakers into the Yamaha reciever?

7. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hmmmm !!

The guy at RS is quite right up to a point. You can connect the AS satellite speakers to the Yammy amp, BUT the subwoofer is going to be problematic.
    You see the sub has no LFE (low frequency effects) input, being not only a sub, it is also the main de-coding AND amplification unit. The sat speakers connect to it at present, and the sub both de-codes the digital (DD or DTS)signals, and amplifies it to power the sats. Basically it is its own multi-channel amp, similar (but lower quality to) the Yamaha amp you've seen.
    The Yamaha (or any other amp for that matter with 5.1 inputs) would allow you to connect the DV-575 to it, but you would need to buy a seperate active (by that I mean one with its own built in amp, and LFE input) to produce the low bass effects. The AS sub does not have a LFE input, so would be of no use.
    As it stands with the system you have now, there is NO possible upgrade route available to you with regards to SACD playback, you could buy the Yamaha amp, use your existing satellite speakers with an active subwoofer, and in time when funds allow, upgrade the speakers to better ones.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will need to spend a bit more money. Not only for SACD playback, but also you WILL notice a marked difference when watching DVD movies / CD playback etc.

All the best,

graham.

8. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ah ok, thank you very much.

I have decided to get a refund from Richer Sounds for my Pioneer DV575. I guess, i'll just buy a micro-system or something to fulfill my musical needs.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

9. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok I have another question---- Would it be better if I connected up my Acoustic Solutions DS-855 Home Theatre System to the Pioneer DV-575 (via an optical cable) and listen to CD's that way (I won't be watching films on it though), or would it be better if I bought a micro hi-fi system for about £150 to listen to music on? (I need some sort of CD player here in my Student House at University!)

Any help will be much appreciated.

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    does the DVD player do DVD-A as well as SACD? if it does then you can buy DVD-A/DTS discs, catalogue is a little limited atm, but basically altho u cant play the DVD-A part (like SACD it needs discrete 5.1 output/input) you can still play the DTS quality track on the disc which still blows normal CD out the water.....DTS can be output via a coax or optical connection....

only thing i will say, to be honest, the kind of speakers i assume you are talking about really are not going to show the most amazing difference between the formats.....it will sound clearer, but the bigger difference comes when you use more expensive speakers.....

11. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, the DVD player (Pioneer DV575) does play SACD's as well as DVD-A's. Yes I guess I will be able to play the DTS layer (?) of the DVD-A, and yes it should sound better than a normal CD.

At the moment I only have one SACD (Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon) but I can always get the equipment I need to listen to the SACD in surround sound later (i'm not too fussed, because it's only for uni).

The speakers really aren't THAT good, but I mean would it be better if I used the DV575 as an audio player (on which I can also listen to SACD as stereo) or a Micro system possibly this one: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...audio+systems&categoryId=28998&clickfrom=name (I'm not too fussed about the radio)

Wouldn't the DV575 handle the music well? Or should I just stick with convention and listen to CD's via a micro system (on which I won't be able to listen to SACD's or DVD-A's)? Which one would give me the better music quality?

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    this is all very confusing..lol

ok, here we go, these are the best options available to you....

FIRSTLY. If you are happy to go with just stereo sound but want as best as you can get.......

keep the DVD/DVD-A/SACD player you have, then buy a Cambridge Audio A1 amp from Richer Sounds, its about £80, then chuck on a pair of Mission bookshelf size speakers for about £50......this setup allows you to listen to stereo CD/DVD/SACD and will sound a lot better, but will be missing the lowest frequencies, but fear not, sometime later on you can add an active sub with hi and low level (speaker and LFE) connections.
    Pros - nice quality sound, relatively compact, SACD stereo.
    Cons - no surround sound at all, no deep level bass till you buy a subwoofer later on (they will still however give you proper bass and should be fairly loud)

SECONDLY. If you really want surround sound.....

keep the DVD player, get the suggested Yammy amp, or any other that has whats called a 6 channel input (also referred to as external input or 5.1 channel input) within your price range.......using your existing speakers/subwoofer this allows surround sound movies, TV and games, CD stereo music, also Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound music. However, with DVD-A/SACD you will need to get another subwoofer so it can be connected up.
    Pros - reasonable quality sound, deepish bass (manual reckons setup goes down to 20hz, personally i doubt you'll ever get it quite that low from the subwoofer), surround sound film, TV, 16bit music fine.
    Cons - not quite so compact, no high resolution audio (DVD-A/SACD) at all (surround or stereo) due to there being no bass, in fact given your speakers are satellites there wont be any mid/bass either probably, so you would need to invest in a subwoofer to correct this.

My advice? if stereo keeps you happy then go with my first option. good quality sound, upgradable in future by adding amps and speakers and subwoofers whenever you got money available, you get high res audio from the outset.....

One thing i will say, not sure if it would work, but mebbe someone else here can comment on it, it may be possible to use your DVD player and speaker setup you currently have with the addition of a 6 channel input capable amp and get hi-res audio......
    Hook the DVD player to the amp by 6 channel external input, plug your speakers in to the amp.......then take the amps subwoofer single phono output and plug it in to the subwoofers stereo inputs (not sure if you could just choose the left or the right, or get a splitter and plug it into both)...the sub might then be able to just play the LFE signal its getting from the amp...making sure you set the crossover right on the amp of course...
    If no one offers an answer to this maybe working here, you might wanna post what i just said in another part of the forum.......to my mind i cant see why this wouldnt work.....but ya never know..lol

13. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thank you for your help.

I do not want to buy extra equipment just yet. My dad is into all this hi-fi business much more than me, so if and when he wants, he can buy an amp and speakers etc.

I simply just want to listen to CD's in the luxury of my student house without having to get a load of equipment. I have decided that I will keep the DV575, but will only use it as an audio player whilst I'm at uni. I will make use of its other functions (the DVD player etc) when I go home.

My question is... Would I get better sound quality if I used the DV575 as an audio player (with my current speaker set-up, connected via optical link), or would I get better sound quality if I went out and bought a Micro Hi-Fi System for about £150?

Another question is.... Would I be able to listen to the SACD layer of a Hybrid SACD on stereo using my current speaker set-up (connected to the DV575 via an optical link)?

14. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    i would say you will get better sound from your DVD player with normal CD stereo than you would from a £150 micro system.......
    you can also still get music DVDs and DVD-A discs that also contain a Dolby Digital or DTS surround track and enjoy surround at a slightly higher fidelity than CD..

i checked your sub/speakers manual, i think you could connect high res stereo SACD by the stereo inputs on your subwoofer.....that should work....i cant remember if SACD is supposed to output a LFE as well tho in stereo, check your DVD player manual, if it says no sub needed or you can switch a setting then it might be ok.....obviously you would be able to use the normal CD layer of a SACD disc, that wouldnt be a problem....

15. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9

16. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello everyone :hiya:

Almost a year on, and I am back to the same topic :D

Ok, well as you know I kept the DV-575 and it worked a treat. The sound quality and picture quality on it are absolutely superb. I believe I made the right choice in keeping this player. I used the DVD player and my home theatre system every single day whilst at uni. So definitely got my moneys worth.

Now, after reading about all this Darkside of the Moon DVD-A business, once again, I have the urge to listen to 5.1 SACD.

My question is, in order to enjoy the 5.1 SACD experience, will buying an amp (with 5.1 inputs) be enough? I am a little confused from earlier posts.

the mechanic said: "You need an amp that has 5.1 inputs linked to the Pioneer thru 6 phono leads for surround sound on SACD, nothing else will do I'm afraid."

So is that all I need? An amp that has 5.1 inputs? My Home Theatre System (very crappy but I love it :D ) is currently connected to the DV575 via an optical lead. So do I then just need to connect an amp to the DV575 in order to have 5.1 surround from an SACD?

Also, can anyone reccommend a decent amp which serves my purpose? I have managed to earn a bit of money during this past year and so technically money is no objective. However, I do not want to pay more than £200.

Thanks in advance.

Edit,

How is this?

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=SONY-STRDE400

Can I connect my speakers to it?

17. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Anyone?

18. xxxx

xxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    To play back SACD you need to connect the 5.1 outputs (6 cables) on the Pioneer to the same 5.1 inputs on a suitable Dolby amp. Most newer amps these days have this. Just look for the group of 5.1 RCA inputs. Avoid the really cheap rubbish.

For what it's worth, you can flash the much cheaper Pio 470 unit with the 575 firmware and play back SACD and DVDA disks also through the 5.1 outputs. :thumbsup:
    I do this through my Pioneer DD, DTS amp purchased for about £100 (well over 50% off) from Richer Sounds a few years back.

The DSOTM disk is rather neat.

19. xxxx

xxxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    That has the right inputs. It's only 50W output per channel, which may be a tad low depending on the sensitivity of your speakers and your room size/level of deafness.

If your speakers just have two wires coming from each for direct connection to an amp then they will connect to it.

20. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ta :thumbsup:

21. Ify

Ify

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey everyone, me again!!

You have all been brilliant, and I'd like some further help please.

I am wanting to use my Pioneer DV575 for 5.1 SACD playback. Therefore, I am wanting to buy an amp and some speakers to do this. I don't have that big of a budget (maybe £300 and less) so at the moment I am just wanting a cheapish option. Can anyone recommend me a decent cheapy amp and speakers?

On the other hand, I maybe tempted to go for an all in one system. Can anyone recommend me a decent all-in-one Home Theatre System that does SACD playback.

Thanks in advance.

22. Bolander

Bolander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You're more likely to get a useful answer if you post this query in one of the Audio Components forums, such as HiFi Systems & Separates.