Connecting Digital to Analogue

S4rge

Standard Member
Hi,

I've just purchased a Samsung Q60AA QLED TV, to replace my old Panasonic Plasma.

I've had the plasma for quite some time and it's been hooked up to an analogue Technics SA-AX710 amp to provide sound to my external speakers. This worked fine as the Panasonic had a 5mm audio out.

As I'm sure you'll all know, the new Samsung TV doesn't have any analogue ports on it but has HDMI eARC and optical audio capabilities, as well as Bluetooth.

I bought a small box the other day, which I thought would do the trick of converting the digital signal to analogue, so I could continue to use my amp but so far I've been unable to get it to work.

The box has HDMI in and HDMI, phono and optical out. It also has a selector for pass, 2 channel and 5.1.

I also have a Panasonic Blu-ray player that has a optical and phono on it, not sure if that could be used to get things to work.

I'm sure some will say just get new kit etc but I'm not in the position to do that just yet or get rid of the stuff that still works well, after 25+ years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Buy a D/A convertor (from roughly £10 up) and connect it to the Optical out on your TV.
It will have a stereo phono RCA out and connect that to your amp and you'll get sound from all sources on the TV.
Something like this and it can be powered from one of the USB ports on the TV.
Amazon product
BTW, just a small correction to your post, the headphone output on your Panasonic is a standard 3.5mm (not 5mm) stereo socket.

S4rge

Standard Member
Buy a D/A convertor (from roughly £10 up) and connect it to the Optical out on your TV.
It will have a stereo phono RCA out and connect that to your amp and you'll get sound from all sources on the TV.
Something like this and it can be powered from one of the USB ports on the TV.
Amazon product
BTW, just a small correction to your post, the headphone output on your Panasonic is a standard 3.5mm (not 5mm) stereo socket.

Thanks for getting back to me, yes 3.5mm.

This was the box I bought, which was recommended. I can only assume that it's not the right thing, as I can't get a peep out of it.

Attachments

• 1_l8xmT6Q.jpg
    1_l8xmT6Q.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 12

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The intended function of that box is to feed it a signal from say a Blu-ray player to a TV and it then decodes the audio and passes it to the RCA Phono sockets which can then feed an amp.
The only audio you would get is the audio from the Blu-ray, not the TV audio.

S4rge

Standard Member
The intended function of that box is to feed it a signal from say a Blu-ray player to a TV and it then decodes the audio and passes it to the RCA Phono sockets which can then feed an amp.
Great, thanks for letting me know, I'll put an order in for the one you suggest and return this.

Many thanks

S4rge

Standard Member
Just to let you know, I ordered that box and it works a treat. Thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom