1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting digibox to amp

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by klnc, Mar 3, 2003.

1. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Might be a silly question, but is it better when linking an STB to an amp, to use the separate audio out phono plugs on the digibox or, use a scart to 6 phono lead ignoring the audio out phonos completely? Ideally I want to use a scart to 6 phono solution, but i've always wondered if the sound that goes through a scart lead is comparable with that that just goes through a single dedicated audio phono lead.

as i say, might be a silly question, and not everyone links video sources to their amps anyway, but about to get a plasma and want to route everything through the amp so as to have only 1 component cable up to plasma.

2. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends...

A good quality SCART lead - but not mega expensive - will give good sound say from a DVD to a TV or video.

But obviously if you go to an amp, you need to get to phono, unless you have a digital co ax in.

I use SCART from Sky Box to TV for RGB, with separate phonos for audio to the amp.

I also use DVD to component on the TV through video phonos, with a fibre optic digital audio connection to the amp.

But I have (in some circumstances) also taken both video and audio by SCART to the TV, then taken an audio out from the TV phonos back to the amp - and it still sounded pretty good even if it's not recommended for every day use!

Using phonos gives you more choice of cable quality I would think - and SCARTS are designed for "plug and play" facilities rather than outright quality in my opinion...

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ok a 6 phono lead VID/L/R in and out will only give you composite!!!!!!!
    I would use a scart to RGB component and L/R audio as long as your amp can take COMP RGB.
    Also what sort of STB sre you refering to?as some have digital audio out and some have analogue, some have both and some have Scart only.

4. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Horny...

"Component" cables are usually phono leads - albeit good quality...so what are you saying?

I have fed component video and stereo sound through phonos with much success.

So what are you telling me?

I'm not sure...

5. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    what he is saying if you connect the digibox to your amp via a scart to phono lead you will only be outputing a composite video signal and 2 audio signals to your amp which will give you the poorest quality picture. To get the best picture from your digibox connected to your amp would be to buy a rgb to component convertor box which would take an rgb feed from your digibox and convert it to a component feed, you would then connect the component output from this box to your amp

6. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes OK, but what I was saying in my previous post was to feed the TV from the DVD with component phonos and optical or co axial sound leads if you have them, then take the pictures from the digibox by RGB SCART and use the phono audio outs or a digital lead to the amp if available.

In theory the digital audio should sound better, but in practice I can't hear much difference in my set ups.

Composite doesn't figure in the equation at all, unless you have no other choices.