• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting Devices - help needed

barryhi

Novice Member
I have the following kit:
QE55Q80R TV
HT-D6500 Home Theatre
UHD-M7500 4K UHD DVD player

I need to join these together so they all use the 5.1 speaker set up.

The Q80R and D6500 have worked together happily and now I am adding the M7500.

The D6500 is connected to the TV via HDMi (ARC) socket

The M7500 is the issue - how do i connect it so it plays through the D6500.
I have connected the M7500 using HDMi to the TV - get sound from either the TV speakers or 2 of the front D6500 speakers. I then connected the M7500 via a TOS link to the D6500 - no sound. I then connected the TOS link from the TV to the D6500 thinking it night pass the sound backwards - no sound.

All 3 devices have settings which mention the digital sound option so again I need to know which of the devices to set this too.

Any help appreciated.

gibbsy

You cannot link the player to the receiver by HDMI and then from the receiver to the TV because it is not capable of passing 4K signals. The player only has one HDMI out and that must be connected directly to the TV for 4K video. You would either have to use the optical out from the player to the receiver for SD audio. You would lose HD audio ability as optical is limited to SD 5.1.

The other option is to link the TV by optical to the receiver but this again will lose and like an ARC connection between the TV and the receiver you will be limited to SD audio.

You will have to configure the TV audio to play through optical.

barryhi

Novice Member
Thanks gibbsy - I have been playing around this evening and I have managed to get sound from all 5 speakers. What made them work was changing the ‘Digital Output Audio For’ option in the settings for the D6500 from ‘PCM’ to ‘Dolby Digital’ and they burst into life.
Now to be honest I only have one 4K movie at the moment as I wanted to check it would all work together so I don’t know if will work with others or not,
So now what I have is the D6500 connected by HDMI out to the TV (ARC) and the M7500 connected by HDMI to the TV HDMI - that’s all. Pure fluke but working at the moment.

The 6500 & 7500 are old kit now so probably look to update soon.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom