Connecting Denon 500SD to Panasonic TH-37PV500 Plasma HD

S

steerpike55

I am completely new to this. Just bought a Panasonic HD Plasma TH 37 PV500
and want to connect Denon surround system 500SD to it. The TV has 3 Scart inputs AV1 AV2 and AV4 (RGB) and component video. Would the best quality be component video from DVD to TV and scart from Sky Satellite(Digital not Sky plus) to TV (and which input?) Would this get me TV sound through surround sound? And to add the VCR - scart to TV or Sat receiver (has 2 scart inputs )? (and which input?) -and would this give me sound through surround sound?
Also on turning on TV (currently just scart connecting receiver to TV) the auto set up did not pick up the channel listing through DVB ( the facility on TV) I just switched AV channel and it was there but has not itemised it on DVB menu.
Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated! I find it hard to understand the manuals!

Connect the Denon via Component cables.

Connect the Sky box via Scart to a RGB Scart input.

Connect the VCR to the Sky box via Scart.

To get the sound back from the TV to the Denon, you need either a Scart connection or Phono connection between the two - Component is a one way picture connection only. (I would use a Scart and set the Denon to TV).

If I understand you correctly, the TV has inbuilt Freeview? The reason it did not detect the channel listing is that it has to have an ariel connection, it has nothing to do with your Sky box. Watching Sky via the AV channel is correct and bypasses any inbuilt tuner functions.

Thanks for that - so the DVB on the Panasonic is in fact a freeview?
Can you recommend any quality video component wires?
Also - do I need to put co-axial terrestial antenna wire in television or in Denon with a connect to TV?

Thanks

steerpike55 said:
Thanks for that - so the DVB on the Panasonic is in fact a freeview?
Can you recommend any quality video component wires?
Also - do I need to put co-axial terrestial antenna wire in television or in Denon with a connect to TV?

Thanks

The ariel needs to be connected to the TV. The Scart connection between the two will feed the sound back to the Denon (set to TV).

As for cable, depends how much you want to spend and how long a cable you need. Personnaly, for £8, I would recommend this

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=675030&category_oid=

If you want to upgrade to something chunkier later, its not cost you a lot.

What I cant understand is that the manual states that the digibox should be connected to the AV1 or AV4 inputs but I find that AV2 is far superior an image.The RGB connections seem very bright and fuzzy - am I doing something wrong?
Because the tv is recessed it is a big hassle to take it out to adjust wiring - are you sure scart will give a better sound than audio interconnects (dvd to tv) ? Would there be a problem having both wired from tv and then choosing after tv is put back in hole?
Thanks for advice anyone.

It could be that you are not using a fully wired Scart cable - the RGB Scart connection (I assume AV1 and AV4) should be better than the composite ones. But if you are happy, go for it on AV2. Your eyes and ears are more important than what should be correct.

If you are going to struggle to get at the back of the set in the future, I would be tempted to attach a cable to everything available so that you can change/add/move items at your leisure.

Scart should give as good a sound as Phono cables - try both and see if you can tell the difference.

Realised that the bad quality is due to RGB going to dynamic picture viewing which is too high contrast so when adjusted the AV1RGB is fine
so I conclude that BEST WIRE CONFIGURATION IS
is looking
video component - dvd to tv
scart or audio interconnects for sound - dvd to tv

AV1 rgb -scart : digibox to tv
AV4 rgb scart : vcr to tv

and when HD comes : HDMI between digibox and tv

Is that right?

Panny is looking great now:clap:

Looks good to me

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?