connecting dav-dz30 to ps3 (please help)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jamesbaa, Feb 2, 2009.

1. jamesbaa

jamesbaa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Iv just bought a sony dav-dz30 home theatre system, Is it possible to play my ps3 through the dav unit! Its currently set up via the scart to my KDL40D3500U and this then has the hdmi out to the PS3! Im not going to use the DAV to play dvd's due to having the PS3!

Any help is very much appreciated!!

Thanks

James

2. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes, see page 20 in the DAV-DZ30 manual, `Enjoying TV Sound from All Speakers' -- press FUNCTION repeatedly until "TV" appears. (Also press SOUND FIELD so "PL II MOVIE" appears, to hear pseudo surround from all speakers.)

You cannot however hear proper Dolby Digital 5.1 from your PS3, because this home cinema is *very* basic. Its only external input is stereo analogue via its SCART connection, and the bare minimum necessary is a digital optical audio input. (In other words, the sound is actually better when listening to a DVD inside the DAV-DZ30; Blu-ray Discs in the PS3 are a different matter, of course, and the lack of true 5.1 is a small price to pay.)

3. jamesbaa

jamesbaa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply, Could you reccomend a surround sound system that would be compatible with the ps3???

4. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    It's not strictly incompatible, just that you can't get Dolby Digital 5.1, you can still get Dolby Pro Logic II. Have you tried the TV FUNCTION setting and listened to it? You might find it sounds fine.

Otherwise, any system with an optical audio input (the Sony DAV-DZ260 has one for example). Or a home cinema system without the DVD part (such as the Sony HT-SF1300). Then, of course, you could always consider an AV Receiver and a separate speaker package.

5. jamesbaa

jamesbaa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Iv set it on TV with pro logic and im not getting any sound coming out the surround sound speakers! Would it matter what scart i use on the TV or do i need to change any settings on my TV! it sounds fine when playing a dvd through the unit though!

I got this skytronic amp (http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR251211) for christmas and i was wondering if i could connect my tv up to it to get the ps3 sound working through it???

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  6. ows90

ows90

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Try AV2, then access the Set-up menu on the TV and go to "AV Set-up" > "AV2 Output" -- it should be on 'Auto' (p29). However, it says something about not being able to output signals from the HDMI 4/5 inputs; I assume audio is included, but it's worth checking out, and you'll at least be able to hear live TV (also try another SCART if you have one).

Alternatively, you could abandon DVD playback and get a SCART adapter, to connect a phono cable from the TV's audio out (which will output all audio) to the home cinema SCART.

Yes, connect a stereo phono lead from the TV's audio output to the AUX input on the amp (but it still won't be 5.1 as it doesn't have a digital input).

7. jamesbaa

jamesbaa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you help mate, i think im gona have to give this system to my parents and buy another one!!

cheers again