Connecting Cyrus Amp to front speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paulcollins14, Jul 19, 2004.

1. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise me how I can connect my new Cyrus 8 amp to the front 2 channels of my setup. Is there a way of connecting the cyrus into the Denon and out again to the front speakers and perhaps switching from Denon to Cyrus depending on whether I'm using it for home cinema or stereo?

Hope this makes sense.

Paul

2. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    There is a way of using your Cyrus stereo amp for the front L / R channels for stereo and home cinema use.

Connect the front left / right preouts from the Denon receiver to the Cyrus strereo amp. Connect the front left / right speakers to the Cyrus amp. Now the Cyrus will drive the Front left / right speakers and the Denon the rest.

To switch between stereo and home cinema use will depend on the Cyrus amp having a processor input that can be accessed via the remote control. This will allow easy switching between stereo and HC.

If not then set the gain on the cyrus amp with the processor input on (i.e. the L / R preouts from the Denon) and by using a test tone on the Denon and hopefully this will be fixed but may have to keep on changing it for music listening.

I know my Arcam A22 has a processor mode that can be accessed easily via the remote - very easy to switch between stereo and HC.

3. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I was trying to avoid the Cyrus amp to speaker connection because of the strange nature of the cyrus connections. I have QED XTube 400 with airlock plugs, if they had connected nicely to the amp I would have been happy but they don't !

The Cyrus 8 has strange male connectors, so I was hoping there was a way of connecting it(for example via its preouts) to the front speakers via the Denon reciever but bypassing any interference from the Denon.

Thanks

Paul

4. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am not very familiar with Cyrus amps but it could be that the connections on the Cyrus amp are BFA connectors - they do NOT take banana plugs , only bare wire and spades. There should be something metallic sticking out from inside the Cyrus amp's speaker terminals (in the middle) but not very big.

Solution - BFA to banana plug adapters are available from good hi-fi shops.

My Arcam A22 had the same problem so I am wondering whether your Cyrus amp has the same problem - assuming Airlock plugs are like banana plugs.

5. paulcollins14

paulcollins14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they are like banna plugs. I am not familar with the other type of plug you mention.

So is the answer to get some bare wire speaker cable and connect to adaptors just when I want to listen to music, I find it hard to believe that I have just upgraded my hifi at huge cost and nobody has bothered to mention that the amp I have bought does not accept standard high quality phono banana plugs.

6. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    The Cyrus 8 has a processor function which lets it function as a power amp when the AV input is selected. You then balance all channels via your processor/receiver and it returns to that level on selcting AV. It does, however, clear it's setting if unplugged from the wall socket.

I can't remeber how to activate the function but it takes two simultaneous key presses - just can't remember which ones :D

Take a look back on forum history for the Cyrus 8 - it's there somewhere.