connecting crt with a vga box....x box

P

prettyasbouff

im not sure i have this in the right place..i apologise if i have, im a newbie to this tech malarky....but ill try and explain what the deal is..........! :oops:

just bought a philips 170b6cs monitor/super vga box 2/xbox.....and needing to know how to set it up...i know its a easy 1...but i wanna make sure i get the best possible connection with what i can afford.

the 170b6cs has dvi-d/vga inputs....can i go through the dvi-d to the vga box to get picture(via the montor output on box)?.....why is there 2 vga sockets...1 with vga card/1 with monitor?

which 1 do i use.....?

can this vga box work without the use of a pc........?

ive basically worked out to run from xbox to vga box via the scart phonos(buying a dedicated 1 for the job soon!)....then is it simply going from the vga to crt monitor via vga cable?

sorry if thats long and drawn....i come from the ghetto and it takes me a while explaining what i really wanna say.....

cheers again if anyone can help......is it all that easy??????????

thanks for the reply bro.....not quite the answer i was looking......
ghetto.....mmmm....meaning i live on a council estate and know bo diddly!

prettyasbouff said:
im not sure i have this in the right place..
This question should really have been asked on the games forum...That might be a better place for your next Xbox related question :) OK, let's have a go at helping you out.

Xbox + an Xbox S-video/AV cable > to > Super VGA box > to > Analog VGA port on monitor.

Set the Super VGA box to 1280x768 @ 60Hz if yours supports that resolution.
If not then 1024x768 @ 60Hz.

Done. :)

Note of caution - If your Super VGA box can only go as high as 1024x768 then it won't be a perfect match for the resolution of the screen (1280x1024). This means that you'll either end up with a smaller picture (i.e. it won't fill the screen) or the monitor will scale the image to make it fit. If it does this then you'll probably find that the image isn't quite as sharp as you might get from a PC running at 1280x1024.

Finally - forget DVI-D, it's a digital signal standard that your Xbox can't output.

Hope that helps. Happy gaming.

Regards

:thumbsup: you star chris cheers........you answered all me questions there mate......... :smashin:

just 1 more thing if your about.....i have a usb output on the side of the monitor....what does that enable me to do exactly?

once again thanks :)

The USB socket is simply an extension.

Assuming you use a desktop or tower PC it make it easier to use USB devices like memory sticks, MP3 players, PDAs, phones without having to grovel around behind the PC case. It's a good idea especially for those of us with a tower PC under the desk that has no front mounted USB ports. :)

Regards

cheers mate....nice 1.

i just checked the spec on the philips 60hz@1280x1020

and the box supports it....so i should have a full scrren picture.....

sorry to ask you ask you 1 more q chris.....but.

how good are these crt(or is that lcd!!!!!!!)monitors...with the xbox....can the pics be as stunning as ppl suggest?.

mines not getting set up till 2mora(gotta go maplins ang get the vga box!)

:thumbsup:

prettyasbouff said:
how good are these crt(or is that lcd!!!!!!!)monitors...with the xbox....can the pics be as stunning as ppl suggest

It's an LCD monitor you've got.

I think a lot depends on the quality of the electronics driving the screen. The Home Theatre PC (HTPC) boys use high quality graphics cards and additional scaling software to drive LCD and DLP projectors to great effect. You’re doing something similar, albeit with a smaller screen size but at a higher resolution.

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom