Connecting consoles to InFocus 5700

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by PJnewbie, Oct 27, 2003.

1. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have an InFocus SP 5700 and want to connect my PAL XBOX and PS2 to it. I also have a Denon 2802 amp.

What cables do I need to connect them to the PJ, including DD 5.1 audio for the XBOX?

Many thanks.

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well it rather depends on how much you want to spend.

Given the fact that you have a nice projector, I would say you probably want to connect them both up using Component connections as your Denon can switch 2 Component sources and you then run a single set of Component cables to the projector.

The PS2 can output Component, but you need a special cable and will have to change some menu settings to enable Component out.

I'm pretty sure the XBOX can output Component also with the right cable, but I have a PS2 so don't quote me on that.

Sound wise, connect the two consoles using digital optical cables and ensure that the relevant menu options are set (enabling digital audio out etc). That should be it.

I'm sure a fellow console owner on here will be able to advise on the XBOX specifics.

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,029
    Xbox definitely component fed to the Denon, i got the MS hi-def pack from dvdboxoffice which allows component, and optical feed for 5.1 into your amp. You get component cables with the hi-def pack but you will need to purchase an optical cable

4. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

So what is the special cable for component output from the PS2? And how do you change the menu options to enable component output?

Thanks!

5. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, Sony themselves have an official cable, not sure if it's any good mind you.

You can find details of the official Sony cable here

I'm sure that some other companies make them as well, if memory serves there's a cable made by Monster for PS component purposes also. Found it, details here.

Does look a little pricey though, I'm almost sure there are other options as well, such as this offering from IXOS. I'm sure I read somewhere that there were issues with the Ixos PS2 cables, it might be worth doing a little more investigating on this if you were considering Ixos.

Regarding the menus, you'll need to fire up your PS2 without a game/disc in. Go into the config options and look for one under System Settings called something like "Component Video out". This can be set either to 'RGB', or to 'Y Cb / Pb Cr / Pr'. When using the component cable, you should choose the second one of these.

6. PJnewbie

PJnewbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again,

Presumably I will still need an optical cable for 5.1 audio though, rather than using the left and right connectors on the component cable?

Cheers.

7. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes you will need an optical cable for 5.1 audio but on the plus side, this will carry all your other PS2 audio as well.

It's a shame, but nobody seems to offer cables that are "video" only for a PS2. Pity considering that the left/right phonos are redundant in a lot of cases. I mean honestly, if you were connecting your PS2 to a projector via Component cables, would you really use the sound directly output from the PS2, rather than the dacs in your receiver/processor?

Thought not.

Just be aware that if you want to enable DD & DTS output, you need to go into the "sound" menus that are available when watching a DVD on the PS2 and change the settings here to enable the optical/digital output. You also need to enable DD and DTS bitstream output.