1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Console to an av setup

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by barrybarryr, Oct 4, 2004.

1. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi,

I have just ordered an amp and speakers for a home cinema setup.

I was just thinking how do I connect my xbox and game cube to this? Do i need any special wires/cables etc?

Please help

Barrybarryr

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    For xbox you would be best getting a pack with an optical out for the sound side of things. If you have a screen with component inputs or your amp can accept component inputs, if your screen has only got one set, then the M$ hidef pack will be best, but you will still need to buy an optical lead to go from the pack to the amp.

I dont know about the Gamecube as i dont own one but i am sure somebody else can help.

3. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Whats a component input? My tv has 2 scart sockets, an s video input, and 3 wires dont know what they're called but they are red/white/yellow.

Is this what you are talking about component input?

Also what is the hi def pack and what does it do?

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    The red/white/yellow are not component they are composite and sound left & right.

As you TV has scart you can get a pack for the xbox that will have scart and an optical out so you can hook the xbox to the tv via scart rgb and the optical out to your amp so you can experience the dolby 5.1 sound.

The hidef pack from M$ allows you to connect the xbox to your tv via component which allows for hidef images if your xbox is chipped or a US one.

5. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=XBOX&title=111950

I bought this for my XBox. You can connect to your TV using the SCART lead. It supports RGB, which gives a much better image than a std SCART.

Since you might want to use an RGB SCART for your Gamecube, then you'll need to check if your TV supports RGB on more than one of your SCART connections.

If not then you'll need to decide which console uses RGB and then use S-Video for the other. If you use S-Video on one of the SCARTs you would need an adaptor. Like one of these

[​IMG]

Alternatively, you could buy a SCART switch and use RGB SCART into that and run a single RGB SCART to your TV.

Something like this

[​IMG]

You can get manual ones, automatic or even remote controlled - just depends on your budget.

That's just video, so any cables for your console should have seperate audio channels. Either optical to give you digital 5.1 surround or analogue left/right stereo (usually red & white phono connectors).

Stefan

6. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    What models your AMP??

That way you can check the spec and see what inputs it has available to you.

Stefan

7. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Buy one of these:

[​IMG]

Xbox:

Buy an Advanced Scart Cable (official one) and plug one end into the box. Plug an optical cable from the Scart adaptor box that is connected to the Xbox Scart cable (like a little box with a square hole at one end for an optical cable) into an input on the amp.

GC

Buy the offical RGB cable and plug it into the switchbox above. Buy a pair of RCA cables and plug one end into the switchbox (the red/white OUTPUT sockets) and the other end into a free audio red/white INPUT on your amp.

That gives you the best of everything - no fuss and it's damn easy to remember stuff afterwards :)

8. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Im sorry but im still really confused can you answer the following questions. I feel really stupid because I just dont understand and it makes it worse that I am supposed to be intelligent (I have a first class honours degree).

Can you explain that again but in really simple idiot style. Im new to all this audio/av stuff and keep getting confused, mainly by the names of everything.

Buy an Advanced Scart Cable (official one) and plug one end into the box. I get this bit this is simple enough!

Plug an optical cable from the Scart adaptor box that is connected to the Xbox Scart cable - I dont get this bit, is this the box that is in the picture that I have plugged the cable into?

(like a little box with a square hole at one end for an optical cable) into an input on the amp - where does the optical cable go? from the amp to the box thing?

Buy the offical RGB cable and plug it into the switchbox above. Buy a pair of RCA cables and plug one end into the switchbox (the red/white OUTPUT sockets) - Are these the red and white from the red/white/yellow on the scard adaptor thing?

and the other end into a free audio red/white INPUT on your amp. - I get this bit!

Can anyone tell me where to get a box like in the picture from and the cheapest place to get the official cables?

Sorry for being a biff!

Barrybarryr

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    With the xbox scart kit you will have a little box see here which will allow you to plug an optical cable from this to the optical input on your amp.

Yes i believe so.

Hope that helps.

10. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Right now I have seen the cable I can see what is meant by that!

I think I know what Im doing now, rest assured if i dont i'll be back!

11. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Barry, i'll try to clarify if i can. The cable that most people are recommending that you get is this one Offical Advanced Scart which will give you the best possible picture from your TV if connected to SCART Number 1 (i'm assuming that of the scarts on your TV only the 1st one is RGB).

Now depending on the sockets that you have on the back of you Surround Sound system will determine what type of cable you can use to get sound from your xbox. If it(amp)has an Optical Input then you can buy an Optical cable that will run from that little black box on the Advanced Scart(see link for picture) to give you DD sound from your xbox. This is the best way to do it. However if your Amp does not have a optical Input then you will need to connect your TV to your Amp via normal phono plugs(red & white) which hopefully will be on the back of your tv near the Scart sockets(not the one on the front(if applicable) as these are an input not an output))

Same goes for the GameCube, you should look to get the RGB Scart as well. But as i stated earlier i wouldn't of thought that the 2nd Scart on your TV is RGB so you can either swap the cables each time you change the console that you are playing or you can buy one of those Scart switching boxes mentioned in previous posts. You can get them in Argos and Game etc. But i would like to recommend this one Vivanco 3 Scart Switcher which does a very good job.

Hopefully this helps you out.

12. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    No problem, it is quite daunting at first but once you see the pictures of the product etc it soon slots into place. It does make it more difficult to vision how it works when there is an optical out as most pictures dont show the output, where as if it was coaxial then you could easily see the output.

It took me a while to purchase the MS hidef pack due to the very same thing. :confused:

13. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    does the gc not have dolby digital then?

can i still connect it to my amp and get some surround sound? is that why i just connect the gc with phonos and not optical because it isnt dd?

14. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry for not making it clearer, although I think the others have explained things well. Is there anything else you're unsure of?

Correct - no Dolby Digital, and you have to connect the GC with phonos to the amplifier. I didn't want to go into things like that incase it went too technical.

Xbox:

Scart cable comes with a little box* near one end of the cable, which has an OPTICAL output at one end of it. Plug scart > any scart input on the switchbox and put an optical cable from * to the amplifier's digital input

GC -

Scart cable to scart input on the switchbox. Audio (red/white RCA) from the OUTPUT of the switchbox to any audio INPUT on the amplifier.

15. barrybarryr

barrybarryr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    yeah youve all made it clear thanks alot.

i take it i should buy official cables and not the copies on ebay that i have just been looking at!

my amp should arrive this week, the speakers will be here from germany by the end of the week then its games in all their glory :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    By Jove, I think he's got it :D

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
  18. RL123

RL123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For the GC I'd recommend the official cable but any Xbox cable would be fine. That Joytech is a bargain as it includes an optical cable as well

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,121
    I bagged a £4 GC RGB cable, new, off some bloke on ebay. Provides a great picture and has gold plated connectors. I guess that's always a bit of a gamble perhaps but it's been a decent lead.