Connecting Components

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Gerry, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is a question about the best way to connect various devices to the television. I want to connect a DVD player, a VHS Video and a Decoder to the tv. There are 3 scarts on the tv, AV1,2 and 3 and for the moment I am not concerned with the various standards, i.e. RGB, S-VHS ect. I have connected the DVD to AV3.The tv manual suggests I connect the decoder via scart to the Video and then via scart again connect the Video to AV1 thus outputting the tv channels to AV1 and also using AV1 for playback of video. Is there anything to be gained/lost by this method or would I be better off connecting each unit to its own AV input. I understand if I was short of scarts this daisychaining would free up a scart input but for the moment I am only intrested in the best signal/picture.

The other issue that concerns me is a similar sceanario i.e. inputting the DVD(or tv) picture signal to a D.D. amp and then outputting the picture to the tv from the amp, video switching I think this is called. Although my amp has this feature again would I be loosing picture quality by going through the amp or is there something to be gained by going this way. Again picture quality is my main concern.
    Thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    No point in using the amp for video connections if you have enough scart inputs on the tv to input directly. The amp will not (probably) handle RGB which gives the best quality signal and the signal will be degraded by the extra connection.

Most tv's will only have one rgb enabled scart input and ideally you would would want both the dvd and digibox connected to it. If the dvd player has two scarts the digibox should be connected to the dvd which is connected to the rgb scart input on the tv (daisychained).

The second output on the digibox should be connected to the vcr which will be onward connected to a second scart input on the tv.

If the dvd player doesn't have a second scart socket you can either use a scart box or use the s-video output the the tv with the digibox being connected directly to the rgb scart on the tv.

The only other cooent that I would make is to use reasonable quality scart leads for all connections where using rgb or s-video.

Hope this makes sense

Ian

3. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I pass the audio to my tv via scart from all the sources and then the tv has a 2x phono connection to the amp. The exception is the dvd player which requires a direct digital audio connection.

Routing the video via the amp is a bit pointless and is becoming less fashionable. However, there are times it may be useful.

I copy and paste my usual response which may help:

Various ways to connect depending on what you think is acceptable.

option 1 - RGB for both DVD and digibox but need to record via the RF.
    Audio carried from TV to Amp and DVD to amp (TV passes audio from vcr and digibox)

DVD > Digibox VCR scart ( use scart lead, set DVD to output RGB)
    Digibox > TV (use scart lead into RGB scart socket)
    Video > TV (scart lead into composite scart socket - Don't use an expensive cable, it would be wasted)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    TV > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

-----------------------------------------

Option 2 - RGB for digibox and s-video for DVD. Allows recording via the scart. Audio the same as above

DVD > TV (scart into s-video scart)
    Digibox > TV (scart into RGB scart)
    Digibox > VCR (composite scart - Don't use expensive cable for this one)
    Aerial > digibox > vcr > TV

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on your available connections)
    ------------------------------------------

Option 3 - TV doesn't pass audio or doesn't pass it with decent quality. Will require manual switching between sources. Use video connections as option 1 or 2.

DVD > Amp (using digital co-ax or optical -identical quality, depends on
    your available connections)
    VCR > Amp (using 2x phono connection)
    Digibox > Amp (using 2x phono connection)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I used to use the tv audio outputs as well but since changing to a JVC 32AV WFT1 I have stopped as the sound is awful.

It sounds as if it outputs stereo to the rears as well as the fronts and then adds a bit of echo.

it obviously doesn't but that is what it sounds like so I now route audio directly from each source to the amp

Ian