Connecting Components

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Gerry, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Nicam t.v., Nicam Video and a Pace decoder-non digital(NTL). There are 3 scart outputs on the decoder, 2 scarts on the video and 2 on the t.v. Having read an article on this site about connecting components I went about connecting all the components with scart cables. The thing is when I connect the decoder to the video or t.v. using a scart cable I get a better picture but loose the Nicam signal, however when I connect using the ordinary RF aerial connection I get the Nicam signal. When I go into the sound menu on the t.v. where there is usually an option "Nicam-on/off" this is replace with "Volumn Correction" whereby it seems you can only hire or lower the volumn. Can anybody tell me why this is as I had thought the scart connection was superior. :(

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The digital source does not give you NICAM via the RF. Only the terrestial analogue signal you recieve will carry NICAM.

The digital source is better but the tv will not recognise it as NICAM as it isn't. So don't worry about it. Most digital sources will have Dolby prologic encoded within the MPEG stream which you will only get by using the scart lead (or phono/optical out where relevent).

3. Gerry

Gerry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the reply. The thing is the service is analog not digital. You are right the analog signal gives me Nicam when I connect using RF but when I connect using the scart I seem to loose the Nicam signal.