1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting coax outside

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rhoamish, Jun 20, 2003.

1. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there's a natty device for making a connection in Coax, on an outisde wall?

For slightly confusing reasons I had to cut through the cable between the satellite dish and sky box, and now I need to join them together again...

2. Kearney

Kearney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bad luck you had to cut the cable, as it is best to have an unjoined length from the LNB to digibox. However you could use 2 'F' connectors and a 'F' connector joining barrel to join the 2 pieces of coax, then use a piece of heatshrink sleeving or insulation tape wrapped around to keep it dry.

You can get satellite 'F' connectors from good hardware stores on online from Maplin or CPC.

3. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

To keep it weatherproof, use "self amalgamating" tape instead of ordinary insulation tape, that's what satellite installers use to keep connections to LNB dry. That also is available from Maplins.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The information on this page might help.

5. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help! I was nervous about cutting the cable, but I'd already done it once to fit a proper socket on the wall, rather than having the cable just bunged through the wall.

I made the outside connection using an indoor 'clamp' type connector, then covered it in silicone sealant, then wrapped it in duck tape. As you can imagine, it looks beautiful.

However, there's no drop in picture quality! It looks no different to before.

Has anyone else found this?

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally, a digital picture is not going to suffer from any loss in "quality" because of bad connection to the LNB. However, if the connection really is badly made, it can affect certain spot frequencies and you could end up with some channels missing or suffering "picture freeze".

If you experience that, now or in the future, you'll know why!

Fman