1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Centre Stage to Panasonic PW7 Plasma

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Tony8377, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Originally posted this in the plasma section but this may be more appropriate in here.

I currently have access to a Centre Stage CS1 Video Processor which I want to connect to my plasma as follows:

Netgem Freeview --> TiVo --> JS Labs RGB to VGA Converter --> Center Stage CS1 --> Plasmas VGA Input.

Now the manual says the VGA Input is an active buffered VGA pass through. My problem is when I select the VGA input as the source it doesn't allow you to select any output resolutions. Now does this mean that when using VGA in to VGA out the processor is just acting as a silent pass through device and isn't doing anything to the picture?

I also have a QuadScan Pro sitting in front of me and it also says the VGA Input is a VGA Pass through. So will this also not process the picture? Also this wont output in the Plasmas Native resolution so am I best to output in 1280*720 and let the plasma downscale the image?

Also if neither of these are actually doing anything if I was to buy an RGB to Component Converter and connect this instead would I see a noticeable improvement in picture & 'noise' reduction or am I best to just to put them back in the box and forget about them?

I have also connected a cheap toshiba 220 DVD player via component to the Centre Stage setting it to output in RGB (YPB just goes green but I think this is because the VGA input on the plasma doesn't accept component) and have noticed a small improvement (always liked the picture on DVD anyway, more interested in TV). I set it to output in 852*480 which is the native resolution of the plasma. If i tell it to output in 720p will I get a better picture? Also it has a DVI output. If I was to buy a DVI board in the plasma could every source be converted into a digital signal and used through this output and would it give a better picture?

Apologies for so many questions but I've had this going for a few hours now on TV and can't notice any difference. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

Tony

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    when using VGA the processing on the centre stage is bypassed.... does the centre stage take an RGBS input? if use this instead of the JS box......

3. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks HD, I thoguht I was going mad as I couldn't see any difference. Have to admit that I'm not exacty sure what RGBS is. Is this RGB via a scart output split into component plus a sync connection such as the following:

http://www.qed.co.uk/cables/sqart/av19.html

If so there is no sync input on the centre stage. Inputs on the centre stage are: Composite, S-Video, YUV, RGB (3 phono), Progressiive RGB & Component and DVI.

Does this mean that the only way to connect the TiVo to the centre stage would be through an RGB to Component Converter and do you think I'll see a worthy improvement? This isn't actually mine but I'd like to see what sort of effect such a processor has on the picture because if it's a big improvement I may consider buying something similar.

Thanks in advance, Tony

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I guess you buy an RGB to YUV converter and try it....... can get them S/H nowadays............. Also if you have the manula can you run RGBS (SCART RGB) RGB + sync on composite in via the RGB and Yellow inputs?

5. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks HD, I've read through the manual and couldn't see anything that would suggest the composite input can be used as a sync. I think (not quite decided yet) I'll try and flog my VGA Converter + Cash for a component converter. Hopefully it will be worth it

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there might be few peeps who have upgraded amp to Component swicthing units who would straight swap..

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Tony - you should really have seen a more impressive improvement running DVD to the processor. Before spending on converters for Freeview concentrate on getting the best out of the DVD to see the potential of the processor. You need to spend time adjusting the contrast/brightness/colour etc and you will begin to find you have much more control over your image. Straight out of the box the image will likely be worse with default settings! These things take time to get the best out of them.

Changing resolutions is also an option. 852x480 in the standard menu of the processor is limited to 60Hz which can introduce judder to the picture. 720p traditionally works very well with older Panasonics so it may do better here too. There is additional software to create custom resolutions on your PC and download them into the processor, or you can even contact Focus Enhancements and see if they have settings for your screen they can email you!

Good luck and happy tweaking!

[VGA is pass-thru only BTW]

8. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Liam thanks for the response. I think I should perhaps clarify the improvements, There was a definite improvement in the sharpeness of the image and colours also seemed to improve. I think it's just that without looking hard and trying to find issues with the DVD picture I really can't. I also tried out my housemates lexicon RT10 DVD Transport (i think that's the model number) and couldn't see any real improvement there either. I'm using good cables, Mart Grant or Nordost Optiks Component Cable and a Van Damme VGA. I'm just not sure how much better the picture could be, perhaps if I saw one setup properply I could be persuaded. I also don't watch that many DVDs, maybe one a month.

For me it really is all about the TV picture, if it gets rid of a lot of the noise produced by TiVo and Freeview and sharpens the picture I really would be prepared to spend upto a £1000 on one of these. It's just so annoying how much different the picture on TV looks from day to day even on the good channels, and hopefully the scaler will get rid of this.

I will certainly play around with the settings and try 720p as I have the Avia setup disc. I have a laptop so could setup some personal resolutions or download some, I just couldn't think of any settings that would be better than those there already i.e. the pannys native resolution (820 * 480) or 720p. Should really have a look at their website.

Thanks, Tony