Connecting ceiling speakers to Amp and TV

jimbobme

Novice Member
Hi all, new here.

I have been given a Sony Amplifier by my brother (STR-DB790) as he no longer uses it. It is quite an old AMP (no HDMI for example) but I want to use it to play TV sound through my ceiling speakers. I had them installed (but never connected to anything) when I had some refurbishment work done so all wires could be concealed.

I have a smart TV and a sky Q box. Right now I have HDMi from Sky Q to Tv and sound from TV. My speakers have standard speaker wires unterminated near my TV.

can anyone help me understand how I connect the amp, TV and Sky Q together so that when I connect the speakers to the AMP the sound comes from the speakers?

The only common connection I see on all three is optical audio.

Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SKY Q
HDMI Out > TV HDMI In
Optical Out > AVR Optical In

TV
Optical Out > AVR Optical In

AVR
Loudspeaker Front LR Out > LR Ceiling Speakers

Ensure you configure the Sources devices and AVR for Stereo Out - you will also want to consider adding a Sub to the system as ceiling speakers on their own can sound pretty bright.

Joe

jimbobme

Novice Member
thanks Joe. One question - I note you have both Sky Q and TV -> AVR Optical In. there is only one Optical In on the AVR; do i just need to get a two way splitter for the AVR ? Thanks

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Either a 2x1 Optical Switch or if you are sticking with the Stereo setup you can connect SKY Q via HDMI to the TV and route the SKY Q audio via the TV Optical Out - I’d start with that if you only have a single optional Input on the AVR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom