1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting CD player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Vodder, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Random thought...

Could you connect a CD player via the left/right phono out connections to the left/right phono in connections on a TV and use the speakers on the TV to listen to CDs?

I'm sure this tehory works because I use a similar setup to connect sound from my PC. I just want to double check it...

2. Ovation

Ovation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should work. It won't harm either the player or the TV to try.

3. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it would, just not sure what the volume levels will be like.

I know when I connect the PC to the TV, you have to turn the volume up quite a way.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Vodder I may be appear dense here but :

But are you sure these TV anlg L/R jacks are actually inputs ? serious question. Or is it some fancy surround TV with sat speakers and an onboard amp ?

Anyway on a related note if you need to hear CDs via a TVs speakers, simply hook up a DVD-V player via a 21 pin RGB Scart, when playing a CD the sound goes via the L-R audio pins. OK not high fidelity as per a hifi setup but perfectly acceptable boom-box wise, remember no matter which way you connect the sever limiting factor here is your TVs speakers.

HTHs

5. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume it has some sort of onboard amplifier, it has 3 speakers you attach for Nicam and 4 scarts.

I was going to use the L and R from one of the scart sockets to connect. I think this will work bcuase the sound from the PC is connected in the same way. I was more concerned about damagin either or. I can't use a DVD player to listen to Cds as the DVD player I have is downstairs and I have a dedicated CD player upstairs and want to utilise that.

6. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well cor blimey - I expected it to work, but not that good!!! :eek:

Got a very mint condition Arcam CD73T at a very nice price (will wait for the DAC route, just non about in my price bracket) and CDs sing!!!! Even connected through the TV!!! Can't wait till I got a small integrated amp for the bedroom and then I can rig up my spare 601s!!!! :D