Connecting CD player and Onkyo 876 please help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bencar34, Feb 13, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Bencar34

Bencar34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, thanks in advance to anyone who answers or suggests ideas to me!

Here is my question (problem). I have decided after long consultation with my personal bank manager (wife) to purchase the Onkyo 876 and integrating it with my hifi.

(Linn Classik K running Linn Ninkas)

So upon reading the instruction manual for the onkyo (some men do read these!) I have decided to use the Bi - amp (not bi-wire) function of the onkyo to run the speakers.

Now I assumed that I was to run interconnects from the CD pre amp out into the CD in on the onkyo.

I thought that as it was coming from the CD's pre amp out that the CD player would have no volume changing capabilities at all (i.e. it was just providing a signal) but this is not the case both CD and amp are able to control the volume!

I am assuming this is not good!

So here is my question

Should I set the onkyos volume and change the volume on the CD player (if so what do I set the onkyo to?)

Or should I set the CD at a designated volume (say about half of max i.e. 50 on a scale on 1 - 100) and control the volume with the onkyo?

Please help

Thanks Ben

2. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Do you need to run the cd thru the the onkyo? The Linn Klassik is already a combined amp and cd player, which I suspect is probably a better unit for stereo amplification than the 876.

If you want to incorparate your Ninkas into your 876 setup, I would suggest using the pre outs of the 876 to the classik. That way you are using the superior amps in the classik for stereo reproduction.

Either way I would set the volume to 50% on the classik and use the 876 to control the volume.

3. Bencar34

Bencar34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Another question then if I may?

I originally wanted to use the onkyo to bi-amp the speakers, when previously I had them running in a bi-wired configuration from the Classik is this the same?

Cheers you advice and help is much appreciated (Ps I didn't really notice any difference between the bi-amp config with the onkyo and the bi-wired from the Linn should I?)

Ben