Connecting BK XLS200 MK II DF & Yamaha DSP-AX863SE

zigsdad

Standard Member
I have just upgraded my system with a Pioneer KRP-500A, BDP-LX71 and a Yamaha DSP-AX863SE amp. :thumbsup:

I also took this opportunity to add a BK XLS200 MK II DF to replace an old and temperamental KEF sub. Having just unpacked the light oak XLS200 (which looks great), I'm wondering which is the best option to connect to the DSP-AX863SE, either the high level or low level (phono) lead? The amp has a phono output for connecting a subwoofer (which seems the obvious choice) or is there any advantage in trying the unused extra sp connections from the amp to use the high level lead?

Thanks, Jon.

ChrisAV

Novice Member
The low level is the normal method of connection if your amp supports it. High level is used if your amp (e.g. a stereo amp) only normal left/right speaker connections (or possibly if you have an AV amp with a Pure Direct mode which only feeds the left/right speaker connections).

Chris

cunny678

Distinguished Member
You can connect both high and low level at the same time with this sub! I do it as I listen to music in stereo through my system occasionally and I find music sounds better through high level connections as I have a seperate stereo amp.

ChrisAV

Novice Member
You can connect both high and low level at the same time with this sub! I do it as I listen to music in stereo through my system occasionally and I find music sounds better through high level connections as I have a seperate stereo amp.

Just to clarify (or be corrected :D), you can have both set of connections in place, but shouldn't feed the sub through both simulateously. Obviously not an issue if you have separate amps but be careful with set up if connecting both to a single AV amp.

Chris

zigsdad

Standard Member
I managed to get the XLS200 connected yesterday, but haven't got it set up optimally yet. This is largely due to problems in defining an appropriate crossover frequency because of to the big difference in size (and properties) of the speakers I'm using in my 7.1 set-up.

I'm using my Linn Kabers as front left and right speakers, but KEF pods for centre, surround and rear channels. As suggested elsewhere on these forums I tried setting 120Hz on the amp to accomodate the KEF pods, but it sounds (to me) like way too much higher frequency information is going to the sub making it sound 'muddier' than it should. Obviously a lower cut-off is needed and I aim to play with this this evening, but to save time should I be going right down to 80Hz to accomodate the Kabers or somewhere in between? Finally, should I be doing this initially via the setup menus on the amp and then tweaking the sub or someother way? I've read the links in the FAQ at the top of the subwoofer forum, but I'm (obviously) still more than a little confused.:)

Thanks, Jon.

cunny678

Distinguished Member
Just to clarify (or be corrected :D), you can have both set of connections in place, but shouldn't feed the sub through both simulateously. Obviously not an issue if you have separate amps but be careful with set up if connecting both to a single AV amp.

Chris

Actually you can have both high level and low level signals through the sub simultaniously with this model as I have done by mistake. Although I cannot think of a reason to do this it will not cause any harm:)

ChrisAV

Novice Member
Actually you can have both high level and low level signals through the sub simultaniously with this model as I have done by mistake. Although I cannot think of a reason to do this it will not cause any harm:)

Agree, don't think it will do any harm, at least not to the sub, but you may be doubling up on the bass, which will not make you popular. :D

You will actually always get a little overlap anyway, because the crossover isn't 'hard' (i.e. frequencies aren't cut off dead at 80Hz, but roll off below this point) so the front speaker connectors will pass some frequencies below 80Hz to the high pass filter that overlap the frequencies going through the low pass filter.

Chris

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom