1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Bi-wire speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by OldSkoO1, Sep 18, 2005.

1. OldSkoO1

OldSkoO1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've just setup some b&w bi-wire speakers with a cyrus 8 amp.

I haven't got the extra cable for bi-wiring just yet but i would just like to check i've done the right thing. THe b&w speakers have 4 connectors. The Upper 2 are marked with HF next to them. THe lower ones have LF next to them.

I take it HF = high frequency and LF means low frequency. Therefore do i connect and colour match one in the HF bit and the other in the LF bit?

Cheers

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Following the cable from the back of the amp to one speaker.
    You have a black and a red terminator on the amp. In a bi wire setup the red cable splits into two. Both of the red connectors go to the HF/LF red terminators on the speaker. Same goes for the black cable. Make sure you remove the bits of Tin (brass) that connects the HF/LF together.
    You may notice a difference you may not.
    Before you blow the money on BI Wire cable you could just remove the tin connectors and replace them with some half desent speaker cable. This does (To these ears) the same as bi wiring for a fraction of the price.

3. nirmal

nirmal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think twice before spending big money on extra wires. I do not want to start a raging debate here, but bi-wiring, despite what B&W and most cable manufacturers say, does not make a huge difference. In some cases, the difference is very very very subtle and in most cases there is no difference at all. Do your research on the net carefully, and as knightshade said try it first with any bit of cheap wire you have lying around the house before opening your wallet. If you do feel the need for a fancy biwired cable, I would suggest secondhand ones on e-bay.

Cheers,
    Nirmal :)