Connecting Basic 360 To Full HD TV???

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by kal_el, Feb 10, 2009.

1. kal_el

kal_el
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there - I have a 360 but the basic one without the harddrive- I am trying to get the best image out of it into my Toshiba 37xv555db. My TV Does have Component Input, HDMI and a RGB PC input as well.

I also have a Yamaha RXV363 AV Amp -

On my older HD Ready TV I ran a Component xbox 360 output lead at 720p straight into the TV. But now I have 1080 p - is there a way I can run a 1080p image into my tv via a component lead or not?

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy

2. pure_geordie

pure_geordie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yes. Component and HDMI do have capabilities of that resolution (1080p).

Use HDMI though.

3. stevielad

stevielad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You can output 1080p via component from an xbox but many screens will not accept 1080p over component. HDMI no problem however.

4. Chrisoldinho

Chrisoldinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    I found on my Tosh 37X3030DB that although it could output 1080p, it actually looked better running via VGA at 720p

By contrast my Samsung LE32A457 runs better at 720p on Component, random eh?

I would suggest as opposed to searching in here you check out the LCD TV Section and do a search for your model, there is bound to be one and i'm sure there will be the best "reference" settings for your TV for each device connected to it also.

HTH, Chris.

5. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    Welcome to the forums!

Doesn't matter if your 360 is the "basic" model, other than the hard drive there's no difference unless you have one of the older models without HDMI.

Not all TV's will accept 1080p over component (like mine, a 1080p Bravia) but AFIAK, all 1080p TV's will accept it over HDMI or VGA.

Whether or not the upscaled picture is any better than the 720p is another matter though...

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,633
    Is that a superman themed username ??

7. kal_el

kal_el
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is indeed a superman based tag - I emailed Toshiba about my model and they suggested HDMI - but you guys were right my model is the older one without HDMI output grrr. So I guess the two things I may try is 720p or seeing if my amp will allow me to input as component from the Xbox - and then output on a HDMI Lead... Fun experiments to come!

8. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,633
    Although its frustrating not being able to use 1080p I think you will still be very happy with the output @ 720p. Its natural to want the optimum but bear in mind that 720p IS the optimum for 95% of Xbox games. Without going into the ins and outs of scaling :)boring:) you should still find the quality exceptional :smashin:

9. mattclarkie

mattclarkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Real guitars don't have strings, they have 5 colou
    Ratings:
    +934

Might be time for an upgrade, I mean that's why you work isn't it, so you can afford to buy a new TV :D. I hope you don't suffer from the W2000 clouding or green tinge.

I always thought 1080p Component and HDMI looked identical, but after going back to Component for a short while there is a slight, very slight, additional noise.

As HillSkill said we could go into a really long discussion about scaling, and I would say the 360 isn't as good as my TV, but it isn't worth the hassle.

10. kal_el

kal_el
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Righty ho thanks for all the suggestions - I bought a AV Component cable for the 360 and set the box to 1080p output. And it works. This model of Toshy Tele's accepts 1080p via component and the xbox allows me to output at that res! So now Im a happy happy bunny. Cheers for all the help. Now totally sorted with me set up. Bring on Halo 3