Connecting banana plugs to Velodyne CHT-15 sub

SOUNDSTYLE

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect to the high-level on my sub (after removing the rubber plugs already inserted) but they don't seem to fit.

They are the usual 4mm in size (the banana plugs that is, that I have to fit into the sub). Is there a special way to connect banana plugs (as I've never fitted any before) or does the Velodyne take different sized ones?

Thanks

On a slightly different note I was reading my Arcam manual and they mentioned that their speaker terminals will accept: bare wires, spade terminals and BFA plugs.
What do the two above look like (and I don't mean bare wire as being one of them:) )

I've put quite a bit of pressure on them but they don't seem to want to go in.
It could be because it's the sub's new and it's a bit tight?

Originally posted by SOUNDSTYLE
bare wires, spade terminals and BFA plugs.
What do the two above look like (and I don't mean bare wire as being one of them:) )

A BFA plug is pretty much a 5mm banana plug IIRC. A spade connector is a flat plate with a gap in the middle, think of a fork with only the outer tines remaining.

If you can't make any sense out of the gibberish I've written, try http://www.goodsound.com/howto/2002_03_01.htm

Originally posted by SOUNDSTYLE
I've put quite a bit of pressure on them but they don't seem to want to go in.
It could be because it's the sub's new and it's a bit tight?

My speaker/amps terminals take them without pushing too hard, although it can vary with different banana plugs. I had some which had to be shoved in quite hard as the actual plug was quite fat (still supposedly a 4mm plug though).

Originally posted by rjw
A BFA plug is pretty much a 5mm banana plug IIRC.

A BFA plug is basically an inverted 4mm banana, a female version if you will.

Tried banana plugs on my CHT15 last night. Whilst the terminals look like they´ll accept a 4mm banana plug, when you remove the bung the actual hole is too small. Even the hole in the binding post is smaller than usual, maybe its for a smaller banana plug (3mm??).:confused:

I think the hole you guys are looking at is an American 1/10" size - what we'd consider to be 2.5mm. No idea why it's on a sub as even the American's use the 4mm Banana plug (they're the only ones who legally can.)

If you unscrew the plastic cover on the posts is there a 4mm hole through/across the post? Most euipment that had BFA's had a 4mm hole hrough aswell, maybe this does.

I've spent quite a bit of money on these cables, having banana plugs fitted etc. and now it looks like I've wasted a lot of money.
I'll just use bare wire by the look of it.:mad:

Originally posted by ReTrO
If you unscrew the plastic cover on the posts is there a 4mm hole through/across the post? Most euipment that had BFA's had a 4mm hole hrough aswell, maybe this does.

Tried that as well, no joy either, its too small.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom