Connecting Audio via Optical to Receiver - Help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Paul_HDLover, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi Everyone,

I have 3 components which I want to hook up to my AV Receiver as follows:

DVD Player
    SKY HD Box
    XBox 360

Ideally I wanted to hook up the DVD and SKY HD box with Belkin Optical Leads I saw earlier today, but how then do I connect the XBOX 360 lead which also requires optical so far as Im aware?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mad-Catz-MO...66?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1189534250&sr=8-2

Please see attached for the connections on my receiver:

The XBOX360 audio lead requires Optical aswell. So the way I see it I have a requirement for 3 optical leads but only room for 2! aaahgh

Attached Files:

2. cinema-man

cinema-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there has your dvd player got a digital coaxial output.

3. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi cinema man,

I think it does have coaxial. See attached for diagram of DVD connections.

The onlyt thing I would then be worried abuot is connecting the XBox through the designated DVD optical on ABV receiver and the DVD through an undesignated port which could mean a lot of manual switching between audi inputs.

For instance when I play a DVD I want sound and vision together. Similaly when i play XBOX I want sound and vision together but if they are not using designated ports they may not auto pair with each other.

Im not really sure how it all works

Attached Files:

4. cinema-man

cinema-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

well the xbox would plug in to the component,the sky and dvd would be the others,have a look in the manual to see if the other inputs can be assigned to 1 coaxial and the optical etc,let me know how you get on.:)

5. cinema-man

cinema-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just a thought

how many inputs has your tv got,if it has component plug the xbox in there then run the optical to the amp,plug the dvd hdmi into the lcd tv hdmi input,then run the coaxial from the dvd to the coaxial on the amp,sky use the same hdmi to tv(IF YOU LCD HAS 2 HDMI)then the optical to the amp,that should do it,this way is easier then running video and sound both together through the amp,what do you think.:)

6. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Wouldn't work Cinema-Man as my TV only has one HDMI and the Amp has 2 in and 1 out. I already have the Xbox plugged in to the LCD
    via component. The only thing I could do is keep this the same and run the optical from XBox to the AMP (DVD Port), then the SKY HD
    box is connected to the AMP HDMI but send the audio over by Optical into the Sat Port on Amp, then there is the DVD which is also
    connected to Amp via HDMI, send the audi over by coaxial. Im left with the same problem though i.e. cross overs of equipment / ports
    which may make it tricky to auto synchronise all my gear.

Still, one thing is for certain and that is I require 1 coaxial, 1 optical and an XBOX360 optical lead. I reckon I will get these leads anyway and then experiement with the setup. I will report back with progress.

7. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    why not keep it simple and have Sky HD and DVD into amp via HDMI with single output from amp to LCD HDMI. Then Xbox via component with optical out to amp. If you wanted, you could run an additional optical out from SkyHD to last spare optical port on amp.

8. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Thats what Im talking about already. The only difference being Im also talking about adding a coaxial from the DVD to the Amp. :confused:

If I dont run optical or coaxial audio cables from my DVD, SKY or XBOX then I dont get the surrond sound. Thats the whole problem.

9. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    do you not get surround from hdmi inputs ?

EDIT: I meant does your dvd and xbox not output surround via HDMI, then use optical for Sky HD.

10. Paul_HDLover

Paul_HDLover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Not sure about the XBox, i'll check when i get home, but the DVD player manual states that to utilise 5:1 you need to use optical cable. I currently have the XBOX connected through component. I might try hooking it up through the amp as there is a possibility it could carry the correct audio.

In fact if it does happy days as all I will then need is 2 optical cables. One for DVD and one for SKY HD.

Cheers :thumbsup:

11. simonoaks

simonoaks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I seem to recall Xbox does surround via hdmi, if so; problem solved, let us know how you get on :)