Connecting Audio-mixer to TV and Receiver

wchoe

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am working on Connecting an Audio-mixer to TV (Samsung un65ku630df) and Receiver (Yamaha RX-V679). We are using the Audio-mixer to connect wireless Microphones for Karaoke purposes.
Before adding the Audio-mixer, the TV audio is being sent to the Receiver via Optical Audio-Out, in order to drive the speakers.

For Karaoke, we would like to use music from the YouTube app on the Samsung smart-TV, to go into the Audio-mixer, and mixed together with the Microphones, and then sent to the Receiver, in order to drive the speakers.

Since there is only 1 Optical Audio-Out from the TV, I don't know how to do this without changing the existing configuration where the TV audio is being sent to the Receiver via Optical Audio-Out. (for non-Karaoke purposes)

There is an HDMI (ARC) port on both the TV and Receiver, where Audio can be sent, but I don't know how to extract this signal from the Receiver, so that it can be input to the Audio-mixer.

I appreciate some feedback from members who can assist with this.

Use ARC for TV & optical for karaoke.

HDMI ARC - can be buggy so whilst it is an option it may not be ideal.

TV Optical Out - add a powered 1x2 Optical Distribution Amp (splitter) to the Optical Out of the TV, that will allow you to retain Optical to the AVR plus Optical to the Mixer.

Optical > Mixer - assuming the Mixer is analogue you will also need to add in an Optical to 2RCA DAC (Converter).

Joe

Yes, I did try the Optical Split option but am not getting any Music into the Audio-Mixer.
I used a Shaxon Toslink Optical Splitter (Shaxon Toslink Optical Splitter) and Micro Connectors DAC (Micro Connectors Digital to Analog Audio Converter).

The Optical Splitter is working because the Receiver can still play the Music from the TV.
However, there is no sound when the Receiver tries to play the Music from the Audio-Mixer.

The TV (Samsung un65ku630df) manual says that only multi-channel audio is sent via the Optical Audio-Out. If this was the case, then the Micro Connectors DAC wouldn't work as it only works on 2-channel audio. However, I have seen other articles saying that YouTube apps on Samsung TVs only send 2-channel audio from the Optical Audio-Out. So, not sure what is happening.

Try TV Optical > DAC > Stereo Amp - once you have that working you can introduce a Distribution Amp.

Ensure you have a Powered Optical Distribution Amp.

The 'concept' of a 1x2 + DAC is good - though it needs half decent kit to work!

Joe

The TV (Samsung un65ku630df) manual says that only multi-channel audio is sent via the Optical Audio-Out. If this was the case, then the Micro Connectors DAC wouldn't work as it only works on 2-channel audio. However, I have seen other articles saying that YouTube apps on Samsung TVs only send 2-channel audio from the Optical Audio-Out. So, not sure what is happening.

Set your TV's digital audio ouput to PCM within the SOUND settings and it will output only 2 channel PCM via its S/PDIF optical output. The optical output is not restricted to only outputting multichannel audio formats.

YouTube only carries 2 channel audio and cannot convey multichannel audio. Nothing on YouTube has anything more than 2 channel audio.

I am working on Connecting an Audio-mixer to TV (Samsung un65ku630df) and Receiver (Yamaha RX-V679). We are using the Audio-mixer to connect wireless Microphones for Karaoke purposes.
Before adding the Audio-mixer, the TV audio is being sent to the Receiver via Optical Audio-Out, in order to drive the speakers.

For Karaoke, we would like to use music from the YouTube app on the Samsung smart-TV, to go into the Audio-mixer, and mixed together with the Microphones, and then sent to the Receiver, in order to drive the speakers.

Since there is only 1 Optical Audio-Out from the TV, I don't know how to do this without changing the existing configuration where the TV audio is being sent to the Receiver via Optical Audio-Out. (for non-Karaoke purposes)

There is an HDMI (ARC) port on both the TV and Receiver, where Audio can be sent, but I don't know how to extract this signal from the Receiver, so that it can be input to the Audio-mixer.

I'm also looking for a solution for the similar setup. Using the Aux output in TV is not a good solution. So could you share if you could setup successfully ? Any recommendations for a good / less expensive options for a Mixer with Wireless MICs ?
Yamaha RX-V483 5.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver Connectivity
Digital Inputs

4 x HDMI
1 x optical TOSLINK
2 x digital coaxial
1 x USB (front)
Analog Inputs
4 x RCA L/R
3 x RCA composite video
1 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) AUX (front)
1 x YPAO mic
Digital Outputs
1 x HDMI
Analog Outputs
1 x RCA composite video
1 x 1/4" (6.35 mm) headphone
1 x subwoofer pre-out

Sony Android TV Connectivity
COMPONENT VIDEO (Y/PB/PR) INPUT
COMPOSITE VIDEO INPUT
HDMI INPUTS
HDCP
HDMI-CEC
HDMI AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL (ARC)
DIGITAL AUDIO OUTPUT
AUDIO/HEADPHONE OUTPUT

Hi everybody,

Any success? I'm also trying to choose a correct device and make an order.
I've Samsung UE49KS7500 TV and Yamaha RX-V583 receiver. TV is connected with HDMI ARC port to receiver's HDMI OUT port (ARC). So when I'm playing some content from TV (YouTube), audio is sent back to av receiver.
To add karaoke function I'm looking at this HDMI mixer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GRKYV8P/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_IuB6BbG87SGQ9
Can anybody advice if this device will support ARC pass through function? Idea is like connecting HDMI cable from TV (which is now connected to av receiver OUT port) to HDMI IN port of mixer, and OUT port to av receiver OUT port (only one with ARC support). Will this configuration allow me to watch YouTube on TV and sing along with mixed audio going to speakers?
Thanks in advance.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

Hi, want to ask if you made yours work coz I’m having same trouble as you are

Hi, want to ask if you made yours work coz I’m having same trouble as you are
Hi, i made this up working like this:
1. TV audio sent back to AVR via ARC during normal listening sessions.
2. When mixing comes in place i use optical out from tv (configured to PCM output format in TV sound settings) connected to DAC which has RCA jacks for stereo output.
3. Then you'll need RCA to 2 x 1/4" mono cable to connect DAC stereo channels to the mixer (assuming that microphones are already connected to the mixer).
4. Finally use mixer stereo output to connect to any spare audio input port of your AVR and choose that to pass sound through speakers. And again you will probably need another double mono 1/4" to stereo RCA cable depending on your mixer final stereo output ports (usually hybrid XLR & 1/4").

Hi, sorry for my english, i want to do karaoke system.
The products i have: SAMSUNG QLED 4K (Q60T)
YAMAHA AV RECEIVER RX-V585
YAMAHA MIXER MG06X
WIRELESS MICROPHONE TONOR TW820

Now i need your help to connect all these things.

Thanks you very much.

Assuming you are planning to use the YouTube App on the TV you will require a DAC with Optical In and Analogue stereo audio out (cost around £30).

Your connectivity will be:

TV (Optical Out) > DAC
DAC > Mixer
Mic (x2) > Mixer
Mixer > AVR (AV2)

Joe

here is my Yamaha RX-V585. Tell me where I connect the mixer to AVR.

Attachments

• YamahaRXV585-B.jpg
    YamahaRXV585-B.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 1,036
Connect the LR ‘Stereo Out’ 1/4 jacks of the Mixer to the LR ‘AV2’ RCA Inputs (Red/White) on the AVR.

Joe

I made the connections as you told me.
All the sound goes to the yamaha mixer and I hear it through my headphones. Everything is perfect.
If I disconnect my headset; i only have youtube karaoke sound and no microphone sound.
You have an idea of the problem!
I saw a member who had the same problem as me. This member is Scooter84, if she can help me!

When you say everything is perfect do you mean when you listen via the headphones or do you also hear the mix (TV audio + Mic) via the AVR when headphones are connected?

I suspect you need to adjust the Mixer Main Output level and TV/Mic Input levels whilst monitoring (listening) via the AVR rather than using the headphones.

Joe

what i mean, when my headphones are connected to the mixer, i hear the karaoke and microphone in my headphones and i can control the volume of the 2 separately.
But I only hear the karaoke on the receiver and not the microphone.

Have you made a direct connection from the TV to the AVR - for example do you have HDMI ARC enabled?

If yes you will need to ensure you are selecting the correct input on the AVR - you can test this by adjusting the Output Volume of the Mixer, if the audio on the AVR stays at the same level you are listening to the TV not the Mixer?

Joe

Have you made a direct connection from the TV to the AVR - for example do you have HDMI ARC enabled?

If yes you will need to ensure you are selecting the correct input on the AVR - you can test this by adjusting the Output Volume of the Mixer, if the audio on the AVR stays at the same level you are listening to the TV not the Mixer?

Joe

I'm in a similar situation-connected HDMI ARC to receiver (for regular TV watching) and also connected Optical to a mixer then to the receiver. Problem was when the ARC is also connected, the karaoke sound won't pass through the optical cable to the mixer. I hope to find a solution that can select either ARC or optical for the sound without disconnecting the ARC every time when doing karaoke.

'I hope to find a solution that can select either ARC or optical for the sound without disconnecting the ARC every time when doing karaoke' - can you list which devices you have please (make and model) and how you have them connected.

Joe

Sony X750H Android TV->(HDMI ARC)->Sony STR DH590 5.2ch AV receiver for TV watching
Sony X750H Android TV->(Optical cable)->DAC->(RCA cable)->Mixer->(RCA cable)->Sony STR DH590 AV receiver for karaoke
But if ARC is connected, the sound is not going through the mixer (or ARC is dominating). Try to find out is there a way to select either set up without disconnecting ARC every time doing karaoke.
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I have a Pyle PDKRMX2M karaoke mixer with stereo RCA input and output, stereo AUX input, 6.35 mono output, 2 MIC inputs. Using android TV app or cast from PC for karaoke sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom