Connecting Arcam 550 AVR to another Room AVR (Video & Audio)

KILLER NADS

I have 2 rooms next to each other, one is cinema room with an Arcam 550 AVR (it has 2 HDMI outputs and 1 Zone 2), the other is a living room that has a tv and Marantz 1511 AVR.

Arcam has a 7.1.4 speaker setup with a 4k Projector and all my HDMI devices such as 4k player, ps5, xbox series x etc...
Marantz has a 5.1.2 Speaker Setup with a Sony A90J TV.

As all my devices are in my cinema room, i want to also conenct these devices to my living room so that they can be occasionally used on the TV too.

Can i simply run a HDMI cable from Arcam HDMI output 2 to the Marantz HDMI Input for Video and Audio? If so then how can i make sure that the Arcam doesnt use the cinema room speakes but instead the Marantz uses the living room speakers?

Arcam manual is below:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I use a very similar set up but with a Marantz 7010 in the main room with the Zone 2 output HDMI connected to a Denon AVR next door and yes it can be that simple.

On both the Marantz facia and the remote there's a button to select Zone 2 and then all operations will apply to zone 2 (power source select etc)
The main zone and zone 2 are powered on and off separately and pretty much work independently, the only exception is there can be some limitations when the same source is selected if the capabilities of each rooms screen and audio are different (my screen next door is 1080 but the main room is 4K. for example If I view the PS4 on both screens I don't get HDR and then have to manually enable it next time i play in the lounge.

The only things that can be an issue are the HDMI cable will by necessity need to be fairly long which can cause issues, My 7m Amazon basics cable is fine at 1080P but I anticipate it may be an issue if I upgrade beyond 1080P in the second room

The other issue can be control of the Arcam zone 2 from next door, I have a small flock of Philips Pronto remotes and various network extenders that takes care of that.

Last edited:

KILLER NADS

I use a very similar set up but with a Marantz 7010 in the main room with the Zone 2 output HDMI connected to a Denon AVR next door and yes it can be that simple.

On both the Marantz facia and the remote there's a button to select Zone 2 and then all operations will apply to zone 2 (power source select etc)
The main zone and zone 2 are powered on and off separately and pretty much work independently, the only exception is there can be some limitations when the same source is selected if the capabilities of each rooms screen and audio are different (my screen next door is 1080 but the main room is 4K. for example If I view the PS4 on both screens I don't get HDR and then have to manually enable it next time i play in the lounge.

The only things that can be an issue are the HDMI cable will by necessity need to be fairly long which can cause issues, My 7m Amazon basics cable is fine at 1080P but I anticipate it may be an issue if I upgrade beyond 1080P in the second room

The other issue can be control of the Arcam zone 2 from next door, I have a small flock of Philips Pronto remotes and various network extenders that takes care of that.
okay thank you, my HDMI cable should be fine its 10meters but a 8k cable with really high reviews on amazon.

Both my living room tv and cinema room projector are 4k hdr compatible so i shouldnt have any issue there.

The only issue that i see is that my Zone 2 connection on the Arcam settings (not zone 2 hdmi output) is taken up by my D-BOX Motion Seats Controller to match/copy the audio source from zone 1 so that it goes to the controller (this is connected via a subwoofer cable).

So im not sure if that Zone 2 setting is the same one as the Zone 2 hdmi output?

Lastly, instead of using Zone 2 can i not just use the HDMI output 2 instead?

Also you mentioned you did this via Zone 2 connection, so your Marantz passed video and audio to your Denon HDMI input, then did the Denon automatically just use its own speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom