• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Connecting analogue feed to digital TV?

Deisel Weisel

Standard Member
My father just purchased this Panasonic TV. Up until now I’ve used an old analogue satalite box to receive EuroSport for free. Can I plug this into the new TV, either direct or with some sort of additional d/a convertor?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Yes. If you click on the "specifications" tab on the linked page that you posted you will see a "21 pin" socket mentioned.
That's a SCART socket - so connect your old analogue box to it via a SCART to SCART cable.

Deisel Weisel

Standard Member
Thanks Chris, I'll hook it up, see what happens. I was checking that TV’s spec list, and it appears to come with both digital and analogue tuners, so I guessed there had to be an A>D convertor in there somewhere.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The Digital/Analogue tuners have no bearing on your ability to connect/view your satellite box.
It simply plugs into the scart socket as Chris mentions.

Deisel Weisel

Standard Member
I though the presence of an analogue tuner, would indicate an analogue to digital convertor onboard the TV, to enable an analogue picture on screen? Much like my analogue satellite feed would require the same? That’s what I was figuring was the potential problem in getting my sat box working with this TV, not so much the connection, but an onboard A/D convertor. No?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
No, in your case the signal from your satellite box is already in an analogue format and is connected to an analogue input scart socket on the Tv so there is no conversion needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom