Connecting an oldie

wbeelen

Novice Member
Good afternoon,

My parents do have a JVC RX -E5S audio set and a Samsung ue46es5700 television.
We try to connect the tv to play it's audio via the JVC set. The TV does have a digital output available which we connect to the JVC set. But no matter what setting/source we select on the JVC, audio isn't played.
In the manual of the JVC there is a remark/sentence that to be able to use the digital input you still need to connect an analog cable?? Since the tv doesn't have an analog output (as far as I know) this makes it impossible to connect the JVC?
Does maybe someone have the same experience/knowledge if this analog cable indeed is needed, and/or is there another way to overcome this issue?

Thanks in advance for the response.

raymondo44

Standard Member
Good afternoon,

We try to connect the tv to play it's audio via the JVC set. The TV does have a digital output available which we connect to the JVC set. But no matter what setting/source we select on the JVC, audio isn't played.
In the manual of the JVC there is a remark/sentence that to be able to use the digital input you still need to connect an analog cable?? Since the tv doesn't have an analog output (as far as I know) this makes it impossible to connect the JVC?
Does maybe someone have the same experience/knowledge if this analog cable indeed is needed, and/or is there another way to overcome this issue?

Mr Wolf

That sounds really bizarre. I have no idea why you would also need an analogue connection to get digital audio. Assuming the TV has no SCART or RCA audio out sockets, the only analogue sound you could get out of it would be via its headphone jack if it has one.

Good afternoon,

I have no idea what a JVC RX-E5S is, I'm guessing some kind of mini/midi hifi unit? Also not understanding the reference to an analogue cable being needed. All I can suggest is that you try altering the digital output from the TV between PCM and Bitstream to see if either works.

raymondo44

Standard Member
Good afternoon,

Hi Whelan, with regards to your question on connecting an audio set to your Samsung, I have achieved this with a Lindy SPDIF DAC.
I also have a Samsung tv, albeit quite old, but it does have an SPDIF output at the rear at the rear of the set. Connecting the tv via a digital cable to the Lindy unit with it's analog cable outputs to my ancient Marantz amp.
You have to find the tv's audio speaker outputs and choose External speakers in the menu audio section. These units are quite expensive and having checked their site (LIndy), they are out of stock. I then checked Ebay and there are listings for this unit. I have had mine for many years and it still works perfectly.
Hope this is of help to you.
Raymondo44

Attachments

• LINDY.JPG
    LINDY.JPG
    260.3 KB · Views: 8

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd assume the manual is refering to analogue video connections when suggesting the optical audio input requires associuated analogue connections? I've not read the manual, but maybe the optical input is assignable?

The OPTICAL 2 S/PDIF input appears to be assigned to the device's VIDEO source by default?

Last edited:
I'd assume the manual is refering to analogue video connections when suggesting the optical audio input requires associuated analogue connections? I've not read the manual, but maybe the optical input is assignable?
I think you should read the manual Dante ;)

dante01

Distinguished Member
by default 2021-03-10 at 13.09.25.png

The analogue video connections mentioned aren't actually required and you should still be able to access the digital audio if and when the associated sources are selected without the video connections.

I've no access to page10 and 19, but I'd suggest those pages be read in order to correctlt configure the TVC device and select the correct mode required.

Last edited:
View attachment 1473861

The analogue video connections mentioned aren't actually required and you should still be able to access the digital audio if and when the associated sources are selected without the video connections.

I've no access to page10 and 19, but I'd suggest those pages be read in order to correctlt configure the TVC device and select the correct mode required.
The importance of RTFM - properly! I knew you would solve it Dante. :smashin:

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Chances are will need to set the TV menu to:

Optical/SPDIF output.
External speakers.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Chances are will need to set the TV menu to:

Optical/SPDIF output.
External speakers.
That would indeed be a requirement idf wishing to use the S/PDIF optical audio output to convey the TV's audio to the AV receiver. The AV receiver would then be processing, amplifying and portraying the audio rather than the TV's ow internal speakers.

wbeelen

Novice Member
Thanks for all your quick and useful feedback!
The full manual can be found: JVC RX-E5S INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

So I did connect (only) the digital cable between tv and audio unit. And I think I did change the settings correctly in the tv. But I will check this tomorrow. Might it also be caused by a wrong cable. As far as I know, we use a "normal" digital cable. Is there a way to check this?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all your quick and useful feedback!
The full manual can be found: JVC RX-E5S INSTRUCTIONS MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

So I did connect (only) the digital cable between tv and audio unit. And I think I did change the settings correctly in the tv. But I will check this tomorrow. Might it also be caused by a wrong cable. As far as I know, we use a "normal" digital cable. Is there a way to check this?

Thanks in advance.
"Normal" is not a helpful description! I assume you mean an optical cable, aka "Toslink"? Has a square type connector, if your cable fits then it must be the correct type.

wbeelen

Novice Member
"Normal" is not a helpful description! I assume you mean an optical cable, aka "Toslink"? Has a square type connector, if your cable fits then it must be the correct type.
You are correct. What I meant was indeed an optical cable, "toslink", cause in the manual was mentioned a coaxial-digital cable but that's only for connecting in another way. This gave me the impression that I might used a wrong cable. But that's not the case so we did indeed use a "normal" :) optical "toslink" cable.

You are correct. What I meant was indeed an optical cable, "toslink", cause in the manual was mentioned a coaxial-digital cable but that's only for connecting in another way. This gave me the impression that I might used a wrong cable. But that's not the case so we did indeed use a "normal" :) optical "toslink" cable.
If your equipment has both optical and coax connectors (at both ends), then you can use either , there isn't a wrong or right one. The only difference would be the input you would need to switch to in order to use it,

jwlawler

Just guessing here based on a slightly similar issue. In the bedroom, I have a new Samsung TV whose only audio output is optical digital. I have an old Denon stereo amplifier with only analogue inputs. So, I bought a little external DAC. I connected the TV to the DAC with an optical cable and the DAC to the amp with RCA cables. I just got a nasty buzz. A little research explained and corrected the problem. The TV was sending Dolby 5.1 by default; I had to switch a setting in the TV to send PCM. This was hidden under "Expert Settings".

Just guessing here based on a slightly similar issue. In the bedroom, I have a new Samsung TV whose only audio output is optical digital. I have an old Denon stereo amplifier with only analogue inputs. So, I bought a little external DAC. I connected the TV to the DAC with an optical cable and the DAC to the amp with RCA cables. I just got a nasty buzz. A little research explained and corrected the problem. The TV was sending Dolby 5.1 by default; I had to switch a setting in the TV to send PCM. This was hidden under "Expert Settings".

Yes, PCM is a 2.0 signal, so would be suitable for outputting to your amp.

jwlawler

Unlikely as the OP's JVC is multi-channel, so wouldn't have the same PCM stereo limitation.

I failed to notice that. I just assumed that old meant stereo. I guess that my idea of "old" is older than that of others. I remember when stereo was new fangled and the battle that I had to persuade my parents to buy a stereo system. I did not even dream of surround sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart Start offer grants access to premium TV apps
  • By Andy Bassett