Connecting an old camcorder to my Denon AVR

Zog

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to connect an old camcorder to my relatively new Denon AVR.

The camcorder has yellow RCA out for the video and a single RCA out for the mono sound.

I have connected them up to the second of 7 inputs on the receiver and assigned the sound input to analogue. Audio works.

The problem I am having is assigning the video input. Neither of the options available appears to work.

You can see the 2 inputs beneath the network cable.

c4ucrk2oh4t6.jpg

Manual shows the connection method but give no advice on correctly assigning the inputs.

hw0d9iwnbok0.jpg

Please post the model number of your Denon AVR and/or a link to an online manual for it. Without that information, I can only give you very generic and not very helpful "it's in the setup somewhere".

Somewhere in the manual it will have a page or two concerning assignment of video sources to source selection - generally whether it's HDMI or one of the other connections.

Would it be easier to connect the camera up to the TV and use either ARC or optical back to the Denon for the audio?

Please post the model number of your Denon AVR and/or a link to an online manual for it. Without that information, I can only give you very generic and not very helpful "it's in the setup somewhere".

Somewhere in the manual it will have a page or two concerning assignment of video sources to source selection - generally whether it's HDMI or one of the other connections.

Manual here ... Manual

Would it be easier to connect the camera up to the TV and use either ARC or optical back to the Denon for the audio?

That was going to be my last resort as I have optical audio out to the DENON, but it means messing around manually with the audio coming from the AVR and the video being viewed directly on the TV .... I think.

That was going to be my last resort as I have optical audio out to the DENON, but it means messing around manually with the audio coming from the AVR and the video being viewed directly on the TV .... I think.
Just select your optical input on the Denon from the TV. You would have to do the same if the camera was linked to the Denon anyway.

Higher level models can upconvert the analogue signal and output it to HDMI however looking at this manual page
I don't think your model does the upconversion.

If your TV has an RCA analogue input you either need to connect the video cable to the TV or connect the amps composite output to the TV and leave the camera connected to the TV. Either way you'll need an RCA input on the TV.

Edit, think i need my eyes tested...as you were gents.

Think I see the issue now with the video signal.

However, I do have an S-VHS in the set-up working fine, so I need to figure out how I did that and it will probably provide me with the answer for the camera.

Cheers folks...

You can buy for about £10-£15 a composite to HDMI video converter at Amazon etc.

This should help:

Cheers, so it appears my 2300 doesn't.

To avoid even more leads I think going in via the TV will be the best solution.

TV audio out to the Denon as existing and video as per the TV. Then a little careful programming of the Harmony remote to ensure all the inputs/outputs are switched correctly upon selection.

Only possible issue might be whether the TV will pass the audio to the optical out which goes to the amp, but as I said, if I've got the S-VHS sorted out with Video and Audio, then it should be able to handle this.

OK ..... So basically it's all working fine now.

AV3 RCA inputs on the side of the TV. Harmony remote switches to this for the Video and the Denon to the TV optical for the Audio.

Just need to get an RCA splitter as I am only getting left audio.

Also need to figure out why I'm getting an audio buzz when the Video RCA is connected.

Cheers folk.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom