1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting an iPod to Ceiling speakers??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Acumax, Jul 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Acumax

Acumax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK here's one for you...

I have an Acupuncture clinic and I have just purchased 4 DL10 ceiling speakers for it. Now originally I was going to opt for a normal stereo with a minimum 60w output to be powerful enough to power these speakers and give me the sound quality I'm after.

BUT... I would much rather have an iPod in there for a number of reasons... please can anyone advise me of a solution to connect an iPod to these speakers and still obtain a decent stereo sound?

:lease:

p.s. I haven't purchased the iPod yet, so which one I get depends on a solution and compatability... you're advice on this would be greatly appreciated too.

2. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Any iPod model you buy will not have an output powerful enough to drive the speakers directly..........you still need an amplifier with the iPod connected to it's line input. You will also need to buy the iPod accesory cradle which has the line out socket fitted.

3. ToxicUK

ToxicUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or buy a NW-HD5 with its built in line out and connect it to an amp :clap:

4. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thats not really very helpful to the query in question, is it.

5. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You'll still need an amp to power the speakers. The iPod will become the source which plugs into the amp. All you need to do is to wire the iPod dock to the amp. Sit the iPod in the dock and you're done.

The iPod's rather good for this sort of use as it's very flexible in playlisting. Dump your music onto the drive, then you can knock up powerful automated playlists for the day very easily.

If it's decent quality you're looking for, rip your CD's in 256K MP3 or AAC. Lower quality on half-decent speakers will feel 'flat' and sometimes you might notice artifacting (a sort of rough whine) in the sound.

ToxicUK, FYI there is no need to manually switch to a Line Out mode on the iPod since you can get docks and modules which plug into the dock port of the iPod. The iPod Line Out is also noticeably superior to the HD5.

6. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So you keep saying :rolleyes: .

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I have both (and many others) so I have no need to be partisan. I'm just saying what I'm experiencing out of rather decent headgear / amps.

8. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    To my ears, they sounded identical.

The only difference is that the HD5's line out is portable......

9. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Whatever. One thing I really hate is fanboys who base their opinions on players by a momentary audition with a made up mind. As I said, I have no such prejudices.

Anyway, we're getting off topic... the iPod is the better machine for this use without a doubt, so let's just stick to what needs to be done to get it connected.

In terms of amp connections as I've said, it's pretty easy. The other option is remote control. Although adjusting the volume on the iPod and leaving the amp at a fixed volume will mean somewhat reduced sound quality, it is possible to hook the amp up to the headphone socket of the iPod instead of the line out so that you can use remotes such as the Ten Navipod or Griffin Airclick, so you can control playback and volume remotely.

The playlisting features I mentioned before are quite powerful. You can knock up predetermined 'smart playlists', which are rule-based playlists like "4 hours of new age music which I've rated highly" then chain them together for a daily mix. That's just for starters and it's easy to create imaginative selections automatically.

If it's just for mainly fixed, music-only use I suggest you hunt for a 4G 40Gb iPod.

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Actually you do. As far as I can understand, you are assuming I am a Sony fanboy and I based my opinion on a "momentary audition with a made up mind".

Which certainly wasn't the case.

I am simply stating that I as an individual could not tell the difference between the line-out on the iPod dock and that on the HD5 (well actually HD3, but I don't think that is really relevant).

I don't think retorting with "Whatever." really demonstrates your point all that well, does it?

11. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I scanned your previous posts before I posted that. If you can't help the OP, I suggest you go elsewhere. This isn't an iPod vs HDx thread.

12. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well I would appreciate it if you didn't assume I conducted my test with a "made up mind".

Just because I didn't acheive the same result as you, doesn't mean I am wrong and you are right.

13. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Another option available (albeit more costly) is to go the route of this for the iPod, and hook it up to a multi channel/distribution amp.

14. ToxicUK

ToxicUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simple question gets a simple answer, poster had already made his mind up to purchase a mp3 player with line out,just pointing out a sony doesnt need any extra hardware irrespective of which sounds better, in any case when connected to an amp the quality of the sound is down to the amp,so dont try to be clever :nono:

15. Acumax

Acumax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick note to say thanks to everyone for your help on this, it is most appreciated (although I did not intend to cause a row, it always makes interesting reading)

I have purchased my Amp, iPod, Dock and cables and I am just eagerly awaiting the clinic to be finished so I can (get a sparky to) wire it all up and see what results I can achieve!

Cheers

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. ToxicUK

ToxicUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now you have to decide what music people will like, i suppose you could always have chubby brown on there :thumbsup:

17. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    It was hardly a point which needed making though.

18. Acumax

Acumax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure so sure Mr. Brown is quite the right music to create the tranquil relaxing atmosphere I'm after! But thanks anyway. In fact the choice of music is going to be harder than finding the right set up in the first place!

Oh and just to clear things up... I'm a 'her' not a 'him'!!

Any music suggestions would be greatly appreciated although totally off subject!

Thanks again

:hiya:

19. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'd suggest looking for some Jonathon Cain stuff - instrumental piano based. Equally, stuff from Craig Chaquico - acoustic guitar.
    A lot of your New World stuff in HMV/Virgin would provide one possible element of relaxing music. I'll upload a few clips to give you an idea, and PM you the link.
    Give me 'til later this evening or tomorrow to get it done.

20. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    How about "needles and pins" by The Searchers :D

21. ToxicUK

ToxicUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do apologize, no offence meant regarding gender :D

22. Acumax

Acumax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds pretty good to me! Well I don't know whether it sounds good yet... but... well yeah I'll stop there... thanks!!

ToxicUK... no offense taken!!

Ta