Connecting an Integrated Stereo Amp to an AV Receiver

outlawjeff

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I Need Your Help!

1. I’d like to connect my integrated amp CXA81 to my AVR X3500. Will this improve my front channels’ sound? (Can CXA 81 bypass the AVR?) Is the Odyssey calibration required?
D1B72242-49B3-444F-9BC2-1D3B9A0396D1.jpeg
2. By using RCA pre out from Denon, where does RCA go in on the back of CXA81? Is RCA the only way to connect the integrated amp?
06817157-855D-4C89-A3F6-25E95B98E8BD.jpeg

3. Is the trigger cable mandatory for this set up?

I would very much appreciate your help.

Last edited:
The CX81 does not have an HT bypass input which is usually used with AV receivers to drive the front channels at a fixed level. But that does not mean you can't still use it, you can but it's a bit more involved and it's not really an ideal solution because you are also using the pre-amp section of the CX81 when using it like this.
You would take the front L+R from the front pre-out from the Denon using a stereo RCA cable to an input of your choice on the CX - say A4 for instance. You don't have to use the trigger connection but it just saves you having to turn on the Cambridge manually; with the the trigger connected the CX81 would switch on at the same time as when you turn on the Denon.
You would then select A4 input on the cambridge and roughly adjust the volume to around 10 o'clock on the dial. You then run the calibration on the Denon so that all the levels are correct (if you don't achieve enough volume from the front channels you turn the volume up or down as needed.
Once you have found the right level on the CX81 after calibration you can put a little sticker marker where the volume is so that you can return it to that position for when you use it with the Denon for AV duties in future.
There are plenty of us who use this method and it still works quite well but it is a bit more of a faff than using an amp with HT bypass. If you have other components like a CD player or tuner etc then naturally you would still connect those up to the Cambridge for the best sound quality.

As kapkirk saidtthen connect left right stereo pair to the Cambridge amp. I've done something similar, different items but same principle with volume control on the stereo pre to a marked position.If the Cambridge has digital display with volume you could set it this way also.

It'll free up power to remaining avr channels

The CX81 does not have an HT bypass input which is usually used with AV receivers to drive the front channels at a fixed level. But that does not mean you can't still use it, you can but it's a bit more involved and it's not really an ideal solution because you are also using the pre-amp section of the CX81 when using it like this.
You would take the front L+R from the front pre-out from the Denon using a stereo RCA cable to an input of your choice on the CX - say A4 for instance. You don't have to use the trigger connection but it just saves you having to turn on the Cambridge manually; with the the trigger connected the CX81 would switch on at the same time as when you turn on the Denon.
You would then select A4 input on the cambridge and roughly adjust the volume to around 10 o'clock on the dial. You then run the calibration on the Denon so that all the levels are correct (if you don't achieve enough volume from the front channels you turn the volume up or down as needed.
Once you have found the right level on the CX81 after calibration you can put a little sticker marker where the volume is so that you can return it to that position for when you use it with the Denon for AV duties in future.
There are plenty of us who use this method and it still works quite well but it is a bit more of a faff than using an amp with HT bypass. If you have other components like a CD player or tuner etc then naturally you would still connect those up to the Cambridge for the best sound quality.
Exactly why I’d like to hook up CXA81 to AVR, so that I can enjoy stereo music from time to time. I absolutely hate when denon even displays “180w x 7 channels” on the front of the panel!! It’s misleading for people who just entered this hobby.

After researching for a day, I hope to invest in an AVR with good DAC and a separate power amp for the stereo. Will that be a better solution? (For the ease of setup)

From two denon avr bench test

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220319-210553.png
    Screenshot_20220319-210553.png
    371.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20220319-210529.png
    Screenshot_20220319-210529.png
    266.5 KB · Views: 121
After researching for a day, I hope to invest in an AVR with good DAC and a separate power amp for the stereo. Will that be a better solution? (For the ease of setup)
Depends on what AV amp you get. Just connecting a power amp for stereo will amplify the audio of the AV amp's pre-amps, for good or for bad. If wishing to completely separate music from film for a superior stereo performance then it needs to be an integrated stereo amp that has HT by-pass with all music sources just going through that.

Depends on what AV amp you get. Just connecting a power amp for stereo will amplify the audio of the AV amp's pre-amps, for good or for bad. If wishing to completely separate music from film for a superior stereo performance then it needs to be an integrated stereo amp that has HT by-pass with all music sources just going through that.

It doesn't need to have HT bypass to do this

In hifi mode, the avr is off, the stereo amp HT bypass isn't required.

It's only in AV mode, that a integrated amp with HT bypass is desirable as it bypasses the integrated amps own pre amp, so you don't have to do the marked volume control thing, HT bypass will increase sound quality slightly as left and right not going through another pre amp.

It's recommended but not essential. I Personally would try to find one with HT bypass but if you already have high end integrated/stereo pre around and willing to put up with then quirks..

I used audiolab 8000q analogue pre in in cinema for a while..

HT bypass will increase sound quality slightly
With a Denon! Get the right stereo amp, certainly with HT by-pass for convenience and it will trounce the Denon's poor music performance. I have run a Rega Elicit-R with a Denon X6500 in the past and the two are miles apart when it comes to stereo performance.

I'm not saying the OP should go out and buy a HT by-pass capable amp, they are expensive. Another alternative is to use a standard stereo amp and a speaker switch such as the excellent Beresford 7220 to completely take the Denon out of the music circuit.

I mean HT bypass in a stereo amp will improve slightly over a stereo amp (in line level input) as you're not going through the stereo amp own pre amp in AV mode. Debatable if able to notice.

Thank you both for all your input.
I already put my CXA 81 on sale and I’m looking at Arcam SA10 as a potential upgrade. I’m not sure if the power is adequate for Kef LS50 as they need power, that’s why I bought CXA 81 in the first place (80w).

Thank you both for all your input.
I already put my CXA 81 on sale and I’m looking at Arcam SA10 as a potential upgrade. I’m not sure if the power is adequate for Kef LS50 as they need power, that’s why I bought CXA 81 in the first place (80w).

Ls50 need a sub. Also probably good idea to high pass those speakers.

Ls50 are very inefficient they need good amp, they're also low impedance so lots of power and beefy psu

Ls50 need a sub. Also probably good idea to high pass those speakers.

Ls50 are very inefficient they need good amp, they're also low impedance so lots of power and beefy psu
How about an affordable external DAC to my current Denon and a dedicated power amp let’s say Rotel RB 1582 MKii.
Will this sound significantly better, given the better DAC and more power?

P.S: Yes. I do have a SVS SB3000 sub. Crossover at 80Hz.

Pity the svs lacks high pass the older models with the silver rotary knob do, I used mine with standmount speakers, with speakers like yours would come in handy if you had stereo pre-power system.

Some stereo amps have this, outlaw for one. Dedicated crossover unit like outlaw ICBM 1 which I have and used works well too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220320-084712.png
    Screenshot_20220320-084712.png
    587.2 KB · Views: 128
Pity the svs lacks high pass the older models with the silver rotary knob do, I used mine with standmount speakers, with speakers like yours would come in handy if you had stereo pre-power system.

Some stereo amps have this, outlaw for one. Dedicated crossover unit like outlaw ICBM 1 which I have and used works well too
I see your point.
Will it make more sense to go for a Prepro + power amps? (Assuming I invest money in that) it will serve both home cinema and stereo music listening purposes.

Attachments

• outlaw-audio-rr2160-stereo-retro-receiver-fig7.jpg
    outlaw-audio-rr2160-stereo-retro-receiver-fig7.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 98
Hello, so if a buy the second box with by-pass for stereo connected to my avr Denon x3500 can I play music form my Avr to the 2ch stereo integrated amplif? Or can I stream from Avr and play the sound thru the second box or none of that is posibile and I shood buy another separate box (streamer) in this case even if my avr has thouse features too? Thanks you for the help!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom