1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

connecting an Integrated Amp to a Receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by equinoxdreams, Dec 1, 2004.

1. equinoxdreams

equinoxdreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

I'm a completely novice at this - but I have bought a Yamaha 1500 receiver (which is excellent) - now I'm looking to buy a dedicated CD player for 2-channel stereo music. I realise, that most DVD players wont produce very good 2-channel reproduction, so that's why I'm going for a dedicated CD player (NAD C542).

What I want to know, would I need to buy a dedicated amplifier to get the best sound, or will it sound amazing going through the Yamaha 1500. If I did buy an amplifier, I would go for the NAD C352CT. What would be the best combination for hooking this up to the Yamaha 1500. Would is act as a power amp for the Yamaha - or would this be a pointless exercise.

If you use the NAD as a power amp - can you still run a CD player off it, or does the CD player need to be connected into the back of the receiver?

Or would it be best for the Yamaha to be the power amp and the NAD as the pre-amp.

I'm totally lost on all this!!

Please help!!

Phil.

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,024
    I would run the CD straight to you dedicated amp. I have Denon 1905 receiver (a bit down the scale from your Yamaha) and a Audiolab amp I run all the musical stuff through the Audiolab and only run stuff from the DVD player through the Denon.
    You can use the stand alone amp for the front two speakers even when watching a movie.

But relies unless you want to do a lot of switching round with speaker leads you will have to use the stand alone amp for the front two speakers even when watching a movie, but this is easy to set up. I just set the amp to a known position when using it in conjunction with the receiver for movies.

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you looking to buy all this because you are unhappy with the sound? If so are you sure you have your existing equipment at the best possible setup? I don't mean to sound negative, I just don't think it's worth upgrading what sounds like a good set of kit before you need to!

I only say this because I'm in a similar position, I've just bought my first full AV setup and am just beginning to learn how to set it all up. I'm currently very happy with the stereo sound from my Yammie 750 amp and while I may get upgraditis soon, will spend several months playing with position, cabling, mass-loading etc before thinking about spending several hundred quid on more amps/players etc.

p.s. Congrats on the purchase, sounds like you too did a lot of reading before buying!

4. equinoxdreams

equinoxdreams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

how very kind of you for all your help!

I'm thinking that maybe I do not need the NAD amp, but I'm certainly sold on buying the NAD CD player (this also does HDCD decoding, which I have quite a few discs!).

I was just interested to know if there was a huge difference in 2-channel sound going through the Yamaha 1500 receiver or just using a dedicated amplifier.

I've already tested a Denon 2910 DVD player with CD's and the sound was awful (IMO) - I've hooked my PC creative labs soundcard through the Yamaha and it sounds superb, 100% better in 2-channel reproduction than the Denon (maybe I had a dud one!!)

So, I'm certainly getting the CD player - but would also like something to play my SACD and DVD-A discs - whether this be a combi player or seperates.

I've managed to get a good deal on buying the NAD amp and CD player together - but if I only need the CD player, then it will save £250.

Then maybe I can buy a CD / SACD player - a Sony or something.

Thank again, all your advice is very much appreciated,

Phil.