1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting Amplifier up...what benefits?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by blasthand, Jun 17, 2005.

1. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi All,

I'm just about to take delivery of a Yamaha RXV1500RDS and have some questions around connections.

Previously I have connected my DVD to the screen via component, and my sky box to the screen via RGB scart. The new amplifier has two component in, and one out. Assuming that I understand things correctly I could connect the DVD player to component in 'a' on the amplifier, and then out to the display via the 'monitor out' component. If this does has substantial benefit should I then also consider buying an RGB-Component convertor in order to run the satellite box to the amplifier and then to the display? Would I suffer any degradation in the quality of the pictures this way rather than going directly to the display from the source? Also, does connecting the DVD/satellite devices to the amplifier automatically switch the screen to the selected source?

Given that I eventually plan to purchase a HDMI DVD player in a few months that would be hooked directly into the screen is this worth it?

Sorry for it being a bit long but I'm a noob as far as having an amplifier with these options. Many thanks for reading and any advice you can give. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
    Mark.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    From what you have said about your setup I see no advantage in connecting the video from DVD player etc via the receiver. The only reason that you would really want to do this is if you have more video sources than inputs on the TV, but from what you have said this is not the case. It would however mean that as you switch the input on the receiver it would switch both video and audio together, making life a little simpler. But it would mean paying out for an RGB to YUV converter. Also the more links in the chain the more chance there is of loss of quality, and the converter wont help with this either!

My advice to you is to put all the video sources directly to the TV and save money on extra leads and converters.

Mark.

3. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Pretty much confirmed what I thought. On a slightly different note I see from the manual for the amplifier that you can use an on-screen display for setting it up. Can I just connect the component out from the amplifier to the screen for using this?

Cheers,
    Mark.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If all you want is the OSD then just use a cheap composite (RCA>RCA) cable as there will be no advantages by useing YUV component for this. I don't know about your receiver, but many don't output the OSD via YUV anyway.

Mark.

5. blasthand

blasthand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Mark, will do.

Cheers,
    Mark.